Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Happy 52nd Birthday to a old friend many of us have

Happy 52nd Birthday to the Mossberg 500-series shotgun..This day(August 21st) in 1961 the first Mossberg 500 rolled off the line...Who here has a 500 or two or three or five?What do you use it for an tell us all about it or show it off....

I have a (not sure on age) 500A 12ga with a 24in rifled slug barrel an rifled sights with the flip up rear sight.Pretty basic blued an wood Mossberg..She aint the prettiest gal,but she does work...I gave under 100$ for it:pickle: ..

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wow, how time flies. My 1st shotgun was the 500 in 20 ga. That was in 1982. I still have it, used it mainly for squirrel & rabbit back then. I took my 1st deer, a doe using it in 1983. It has a few scratches, so that adds to all the more memories I have with it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The first gun I ever bought on my own was a 500 back in 2000. Killed a few deer with it, then sold it to my cousin. He's not allowed to sell it unless it is back to me, so I'd like to see that happen one of these days. My dad also has one that dropped my 136" 9 and his 167" 10 back in 2004. It's a tack driver!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I had the pistol grip on mine for home defense for a while but I put the stock back and left the short barrel on. I actually beat my buddies ass shooting clays with it for fun at his house, but he was also using an old ass JC Higgans pump.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When I decided to get back into hunting back in 2008 I was going to buy my first 12ga, and I was going to buy a Remington 870. But a buddy of mine steered me to the 500 combo and I'm oh so glad he did!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I called in my first tom with one in hand last year. Squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. Click. Nothing. I have mixed feelings. Love the gun. Not much confidence in it at this point.

Mossberg pump fore end.jpgMossberg turkey gun.jpgMossberg stock.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I called in my first tom with one in hand last year. Squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. Click. Nothing. I have mixed feelings. Love the gun. Not much confidence in it at this point.

View attachment 15271View attachment 15272View attachment 15273

Must be the stock. LOL. Or ammo. Has it ever not fired again?
I bought a Moss 500 in 1976 and when my son turned 16 I gave it to him and he still has it. I had it D&T'd for a Weaver side mount and put a Weaver Quickpoint Red Dot on it. It's a tack driver with slugs and way out shoots my Rem 1100 slug gun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Must be the stock. LOL. Or ammo. Has it ever not fired again?
I bought a Moss 500 in 1976 and when my son turned 16 I gave it to him and he still has it. I had it D&T'd for a Weaver side mount and put a Weaver Quickpoint Red Dot on it. It's a tack driver with slugs and way out shoots my Rem 1100 slug gun.

Good question. No dent on primer. Trigger just went click but no bang. Probably should look into it further. Spring came upon us and I haven't messed with it since.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Bought my 500A Combo with a riffled barrel in 1990 for $277.00, about the time when Ohio finally legalized riffled barrels in shotguns. Shot my Booner with it in 1995 and my first turkey with it in 1997. Since then I put a scope on it. It is now my backup gun to my TC Triumph.