Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting my girls ready for their first hunt

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Whelp, I just got my cantilever barrel delivered this afternoon and got it nearly complete. Just got to install the plug and help them sight it in.

Went to BassPro this past Sunday and bought them this Remington 20 gauge 870 Expree Compact with the camo stock with a Leo VX1 7x32 and 5 boxes of Hornady SST's. Theyll be able to turkey hunt with the vent ribbed barrel that came with it and deer hunt with the extra cantilever rifled barrel I also bought on line for them. They seem excited to start hunting and I hope we share some memorable hunts together this fall.

Here are a couple pics:

The stands are up and the lanes are trimmed and all that's left is to sight this thing in and practice...I'm stoked!:pickle:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great stuff Ric! I know you are a proud Pappa and will be even more so when you share some woods time with you this fall. I look forward to the day I can do the same!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stoked? I bet you are! It looks like you have them set up with a great gun, and I'm sure it will do the job nicely. From personal experience, I gotta say you are about to start the best thing in hunting. I'd rather take my kid hunting than to hunt myself any day of the week. There is simply nothing better!

Huckleberry Finn

Awesome, have fun man!

(I bet you end up carrying it when you're alone - those compact 20's would be nice turkey guns)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Awesome! Those barrels are deadly accurate with the right rounds. Good luck to them!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I can't tell how much fun it was when Austin first started hunting and when he got his first kill. Enjoy every moment bro. It will mean so much to you and them. Memories for a lifetime.

Good stuff!!!!!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks TOOzers! I also need to buy a nice sling for it TOO!

Question: as good of shotguns that Remington makes WHY do they make the plug cap out of cheap plastic. I worked on it for a half an hour trying not to ruin it while getting it off and still couldn't do it! Trying to be TOO gentle and careful I guess. Any suggestions? I didn't have near this trouble with my other rem shotguns.....dang!

rooster85

Lake County

Question: as good of shotguns that Remington makes WHY do they make the plug cap out of cheap plastic. I worked on it for a half an hour trying not to ruin it while getting it off and still couldn't do it! Trying to be TOO gentle and careful I guess. Any suggestions? I didn't have near this trouble with my other rem shotguns.....dang!

I own a few 870s and I've only had that issue on the newer 20 ga. It took a minute to pop out and i was ready to give up. I'll pull it out of the safe and see if i can figure out how i removed it.

Huckleberry Finn

Do you mean the plug (if so, below) or the cap that goes on the end of the tube?
1. A #2 pencil works fine.
2. It's pretty easy to mimic that cap with a dowel with a small wooden cap glued on (and I got that idea from a game warden)

I've never had any issues with either on mine...don't fugg up your threads!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes Huck, its the cheap soft plastic cap holding in the spring. I went by the instructions using a screwdriver but the fuggin thing doesn't come loose very easy and I'm trying not to ruin it or tear it up to where I'll never get the fuggar off. Lmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not sure if I remember this right, but I think you simply push it in, and rotate it 1/2 turn or so and it will slide right out. I'm not home right now to check one of my guns, but I'm almost certain that's how it works. It just has a couple of knobs that line up with notches. When they are lined up, it pops right out..... I think.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Not sure if I remember this right, but I think you simply push it in, and rotate it 1/2 turn or so and it will slide right out. I'm not home right now to check one of my guns, but I'm almost certain that's how it works. It just has a couple of knobs that line up with notches. When they are lined up, it pops right out..... I think.

Yup, in slightly and a half turn and it pops out. I felt like an idiot when I finally figured that out. You should be able to just use a finger.

Ricer2231

That's the way my 1187 is. Ya just push it in about an inch and rotate it 1/2 a turn and it comes right out.

As far as hoping its the beginning of some great memories, you won't have to wish TOO hard or wait TOO long. The first trip to the field will take care of both of those. By far, my best hunting memories are of myself and my son. I have to admit bud, I'm kinda envious of ya. I miss those days.