Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Broadheads

teej89

NE PA
Reading another post in the cross bow forum reminded me I've been meaning to ask this question. So I gave my brother-in-law my old bow, Browning Tornado F5 (something like that) 28" draw 60#. And he's been practicing everyday for the past two months. He's never killed a deer only been hunting a handful of times and that was with a gun. He's shooting CE Maxima Hunter arrows, not sure what he got em cut to so I can't tell ya the wt. But my question is should he shoot expandables or fixed?

I wanna say fixed cuz I hit a 7pt in the shoulder at 25 yds way back in the day with that bow and my Muzzy blew right thru the shoulder(I'll be using slick tricks this fall though :) ) He's getting pushed towards using expandables but I feel he should use fixed just so if he does make that bad shot into the shoulder he'll get penetration. However if he's off a little bit the expandable being a bigger cutting diameter may clip a vital to make that kill shot. I'm torn on what to tell him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The great thing about archery is that it is all about personal choice. Whether it be the bow, arrows, release, camo, etc., it is up to the individual hunter. That being said, another truth is that anything mechanical, can and will fail. I used to be a mechanical guy until I had a few instances that showed me it was only a matter of time before they cost me a deer, so I will forever be a fixed blade man. IMO, that is the only way to ensure your broadhead is not a source for failure at the worst possible moment...

Ricer2231

IMHO I would recommend a fixed blade for him. I have shot Muzzys for probably close to 10 years and I don't have any plans to change. They have always done an awesome job for me and I am a big fan of the penetration factor. Paired with a heavy shaft I really think they are hard to beat. Like Jesse said though, that's the nice thing about archery, its all about personal preference.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The great thing about archery is that it is all about personal choice. Whether it be the bow, arrows, release, camo, etc., it is up to the individual hunter. That being said, another truth is that anything mechanical, can and will fail. I used to be a mechanical guy until I had a few instances that showed me it was only a matter of time before they cost me a deer, so I will forever be a fixed blade man. IMO, that is the only way to ensure your broadhead is not a source for failure at the worst possible moment...

My thoughts, to a tee... ^^^

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH

Ditto

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I would get him on a fixed blade. I hit a nice 9 point in the shoulder last year with a rage 125 grain chisel tip and he is still alive.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, that's a good question. I've used a multitude of broadheads in a 30 year span. Had great success and a couple failures over the years. My bow is tuned pretty good, however I really like the rages in 125 gr. the last 5 years I have killed all but one deer and the one that is still going was a complete pass thru. I hit him at a severe quartering away, but 4" higher than I should have. That was my fault :-(. All the rest were good kill and recovery deer. Until the Rage broadheads let me down, I will still use them. However, 100 gr. Muzzy's are in my tackle box and I may give them a try TOO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To each their own. I'm going back to fixed just on the principle the blades dont always open. If your bow is tuned and a good quality fixed head flies true then you're good. When my Muzzys are used up I'll give STs or the NAP thunderhead razors a try. I might buy them this year cuz by then the prices might go up.

Ooooh oooh!!! I shoot the 3 blade rage and love them! But the 2 blade 2" rage rip a freakin hole the size of texas!!!!!!! Makes it nice to follow the blood trail. Gosh I can't wait!!! :smiley_clap:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Ooooh oooh!!! I shoot the 3 blade rage and love them! But the 2 blade 2" rage rip a freakin hole the size of texas!!!!!!! Makes it nice to follow the blood trail. Gosh I can't wait!!! :smiley_clap:

Haha, sounds like your excited and ready for bow season, like Ric and I? Lol.
Those rages really do make a big gaping hole. Just keep practicing and remember " keep your broadheads SHARP". No matter what heads we all use.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just wait until you shoot a deer with a Rage at eye level and the blades go through parallel with the spine just a touch high in the lungs. I did that twice and if I had not paid attention to where the deer ran off to, I could have had a hell of a time find them due to the fact that the slits they left didn't allow blood to exit the chest cavity. Or when one blade deploys and they take a nasty nose dive halfway there. All 6 deer I killed with them had devastating wounds, but they have some inherent flaws that lead me back to the fixed blade world.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Just wait until you shoot a deer with a Rage at eye level and the blades go through parallel with the spine just a touch high in the lungs. I did that twice and if I had not paid attention to where the deer ran off to, I could have had a hell of a time find them due to the fact that the slits they left didn't allow blood to exit the chest cavity. Or when one blade deploys and they take a nasty nose dive halfway there. All 6 deer I killed with them had devastating wounds, but they have some inherent flaws that lead me back to the fixed blade world.

I hear ya buddy. I will shoot both ( Rage 3 blade and Muzzy 125's) and see which group the best. That will be my deciding factor.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I didn't shoot the 3 blades, but should have. I can tell you the 2 blades leave a slit and that can cause some trouble. At least the 3 blades eliminate that issue...

teej89

NE PA
Well I told him fixed. He's gonna get some slick tricks. I wasn't always that happy with how muzzys shot outta that bow.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Tricks will do him good. I shot them for a few years and never had an issue with them. I'll be shooting them again this year if the Stinger Buzzcuts don't work for me...

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i had a big debate last night with my brothers buddy that says shwackers are the best hes ever shot. so i got a slick trick out and 2 gallon jugs with water in them he shot one and i shot the other. i think he got my point when i showed him the entrance of the trick compared too the shwacker. the shwacker did leave a good exit but the entrance looked like a field point. then i shot both arrows at the back side of my deer target the shwacker didnt even come thru the other side and the slick trick was sticking out a couple inchs. i think he will be buying a pack of slick tricks.

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I have used the G5 T3s for 3 seasons now and the deer have all fell in view , which has sold me on them. I like it that way LOL . So its easy to like them