Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any apples this time of year?

Ricer2231

I wasn't real sure where to post this so being as its kinda trail cam related I thought maybe here. My question..... is anybody putting any apples out for the purpose of trying to get some pics of what may be cruising around? I picked up 50# the other night and was just wondering if it would be on to put them out with my trail cam. Let me know what y'all think.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Don't see what it would hurt. The deer I caught on cam was heading off the fields straight to the apple trees to cleanup the ones that have dropped or low hanging.

I would think the deer would pickup on the apples pretty quick and start hitting them soon after you dump them. Don't be surprised if you catch a few coon, possum, and even a yote hauling a few apples away as well.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Now is the perfect time to get them out! I put out a bushel at the farm this weekend and am picking two more up tomorrow. Apples make for great pics!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The boys and I dumped some last night in front of a cam. I wouldn't have but they were on the ground already and not suitable for cooking/eating. We were already at the property to change a card on a month long soak so I didn't figure it was going to hurt any.

Ricer2231

I just happened to get lucky the other night. I saw an apple tree in the front yard of this lady's house so I stopped and asked her if I could pick up what few apples she had on the ground and she said I could have all I wanted. All she asked was to save a few for her 83 year old dad. I told her I would do even better than that, once the apples get good and ripe I would pick a couple bagfuls for her dad.
I was at a bow shoot this weekend and one of the guys I was shooting with said he had an apple tree In his backyard and I could have all I wanted. I told him I would be by sometime this weekend. Do you guys put them in a fruit cellar to keep them from rotting so quickly or what's the secret to keeping some until closer to season?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I've been picking up 10 to 15 pounds a day. I've been breaking them into smaller bags then sticking them in the freezer.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yep they are falling like crazy around here. Put a bucket out a week ago in front of a cam. I'm with Rick, smash a couple to get the smell in the air.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I usually use the heal of my boot to mash the bigger ones, but definitely worth the effort to break a few open to get that tasty aroma wafting through the air!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Question to those of you freezing them: Do you freeze them to keep them for deer food or can you freeze them for your own consumption later?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Question to those of you freezing them: Do you freeze them to keep them for deer food or can you freeze them for your own consumption later?

You can do both, but apples for your own consumption need sliced and dipped in lemon juice water (2 TBSP lemon juice per 2 quarts water...prevents browning). I haven't done it in years.

The apples I am gathering are only good for deer as they are splitting open when they hit the ground.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Got 4 more bags today and 3 bags Friday. Funny cause the red ones I'm getting are johnathans....Dumped half a bag of them and a bag of pears together. Today looked like most of the Johnathans were still there and no pears at all!