Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is it Possible?

Big H

Medina
I put out a mineral block early last week and it is gone? I know the deer were hitting it, but a large (20#) block in less than a week?:smiley_confused_vra

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You wouldn't be the first person to have a mineral block stolen. I had a Trophy Rock out summer before last and if "dissolved" in to thin air in 3 weeks. Pretty sure it grew legs too...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's the reason most everyone uses granular mix. The thief would have to fill their pockets.

Big H

Medina
This is in my backyard, and we never see anyone back there? I looked around again today, the deer may have rolled somewhere? I may have to go look again.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I bet every time you go out there looking for it there are two button bucks hiding in the bushes laughing their tails off at the imature practicle joke they pulled over on you. They might even be videoing you with your stolen trail camera so they can show off to all their button buck friends at next weeks velvet shedding party. rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen them break down fast if there was a hard rain, but if it's been dry I'd say somebody helped themselves to it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've seen them break down fast if there was a hard rain, but if it's been dry I'd say somebody helped themselves to it.

Agreed. I have seen a 50 pound block reduced to the size of a brick in two weeks if it rains every other day, or if its sitting in a small hole. If its sitting it water it'll dissolve quick.

Big H

Medina

You have been here, there is very little traffic if any through the backyard. I put another one out there this evening and put a camera on it. Hopefully the camera doesn't get swiped. The block was the size of a normal salt block we used to put out for cattle, so not 20#'s my bad. I have never had any issues back here so I am hoping the deer are the culprits.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is it possible you have been under a lot of stress and thought you put it out there but actually forgot to? Or maybe you thought you put it in location A but actually dropped it at location B? :smiley_crocodile:

I don't know. Just sounds like it walked off but I can only speak for the areas I am used to hunting. I suppose anything is possible. Been seeing plenty of rain lately? The others seem to think it is possible to have dissolved quickly. No reason not to believe them. You would think there would be plenty of extra brownish tint to the soil and foliage around that area if it dissolved this quickly though.

Big H

Medina
Yes Hicks, I have been under a lot of stress, but I am sure I put it back there. If this one disappears, I will have something to take my stress out on when I find out who "dunnit".

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes Hicks, I have been under a lot of stress, but I am sure I put it back there. If this one disappears, I will have something to take my stress out on when I find out who "dunnit".

Not trying to pry Big H. I remember hearing of some pretty heavy stuff you are dealing with. I know myself. I have had moments of stress and busy life where I finish the day and think "Did I do xyz?" Even though I know darn well I did it. I have to slow down sometimes. lol