Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How much did your bow cost?

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Just curious because a quality bow can often cost as much or more than the latest compound.

One could easily spend 1200 smacker-oo's on a custom Morrison or Blackwidow. My bows ran between 450 and 550. When you add arrar's and such you can easily add another 200-300 sumolians.

Shoot buying a squirrely bow will set ya back a few $$$ too. (BTW, I'd like to buy one some day).

Whatchaya got in your set up(s)?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I bought a ten point off of a guy who won it in a raffle for a 1/4 of what it cost new.... Don't be in a hurry and sometimes a deal will fall in your lap!!!!!

Okay just saw this was the trad forum.... Sorry to Envade the elieghtest area..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I no longer own a "pricey" bow. I have had a few decent ones over the years though. Had a Fedora, Black Widow, Assenheimer (twice), and the last "good" one was a Zipper. I don't think I ever paid over 400 for any of 'em, but they were all used when I bought them.

I'm now shooting a Martin Vision, and a couple of Damon Howatts, along with my Dad's old recurve which is a Ted Williams brand. According to MR James, and Hoot, it was manufactured by Bear Archery in the mid to late 50's. It does look exactly like a Bear Grizzly. Dang thing still shoots as good as ever. If it weren't for the fat grip, it would be my favorite bow to shoot.

Short answer; I don't spend much money on bows. They all work about the same IMO. Heck, I've only got 650 total in the two Mathews that I am still shooting. I got out of the habit of spending money on bows, and have found I'm happy with "good enough".

Jamie

Ohio
now that I think about it, I only ever bought one "new" bow in my life. I ordered a custom Assenheimer in 1989. it cost $400 or so, and that was a pile of money to me at age 21, but I found a way. still have that bow, although it has been in three pieces for 20 years. I made a bow for my buddy Larry in California in trade for some mulie hunting in the Sierra Nevada's and a pretty sweet 60# Compass Kodiak, which is probably the most valuable bow I own, in terms of monetary value anyway. never had the nerve to brace it. bought a "used" but never shot Kohanna longbow in 1993 for $175 and used it until I made a bow worthy of hunting with in 1997. have not paid money for a bow since.

I get a new bow or two or five every year. the cost of making your own bows is incalculable. don't ever start doing it, just keep buying stuff. in the end, you'll save money, time, and it might even prevent hair loss. have made some pretty awesome trades with bows, but there ain't no money in it.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I bought a ten point off of a guy who won it in a raffle for a 1/4 of what it cost new.... Don't be in a hurry and sometimes a deal will fall in your lap!!!!!

Okay just saw this was the trad forum.... Sorry to Envade the elieghtest area..... :smiley_coolpeace:

lightning-2-e1279458564793.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Only new bow I ever bought was in 1972 and it was a Shakespear for about 30.00.
Since we do gunshows almost every weekend we have a pick of the liter of used bows.
The bow I was shooting was a top of the line Bear and the entire outfit my son paid for my Christmas present was 100.00. I gave it to my grandson.
I'm shooting a custom Hickory Creek HD-24 now for 200.00. I love it.
The son just bought a newer Mathews for next to nothing.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
now that I think about it, I only ever bought one "new" bow in my life. I ordered a custom Assenheimer in 1989. it cost $400 or so, and that was a pile of money to me at age 21, but I found a way. still have that bow, although it has been in three pieces for 20 years. I made a bow for my buddy Larry in California in trade for some mulie hunting in the Sierra Nevada's and a pretty sweet 60# Compass Kodiak, which is probably the most valuable bow I own, in terms of monetary value anyway. never had the nerve to brace it. bought a "used" but never shot Kohanna longbow in 1993 for $175 and used it until I made a bow worthy of hunting with in 1997. have not paid money for a bow since.

I get a new bow or two or five every year. the cost of making your own bows is incalculable. don't ever start doing it, just keep buying stuff. in the end, you'll save money, time, and it might even prevent hair loss. have made some pretty awesome trades with bows, but there ain't no money in it.

Do you still make those recurved bamboo backed bows? Weren't they called Dragon Bows?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
71" Hickory self bow from Ringing Rock Archery was 26.99 unfinished on eBay. I got to finish it and set the bow up which taught me some things.

Jamie

Ohio
I still make bamboo backed osage bows, some of them working recurves, some static recurves, but mostly D/R flatbows. don't know anything about any Dragon Bows.

71"er, eh Mike? that's a biggen'. the first bow I made and used to kill a deer with was a 70" hickory backed osage longbow. dreadful thing, it was. was a real pain in the ass in a treestand because it was so long. I guess it worked, but I don't think I'll ever attempt to hunt with a bow that long ever again.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm 6'2''. It's my first traditional bow. I pretty much went straight for the crossbow after trying an old compound when I got into the sport 5 years ago. I like shooting that longbow though.

Jamie

Ohio
I suspect you pull your hickory bow a little more than 28"? for white wood bows a little long is much better than a little short, especially if you have a longer than average draw. I pull my wood bows about 28 1/2", and after years of shooting wooden bows, I've settled on 64" as the ideal length for me personally. I also only make osage and bamboo backed osage bows. osage has a bit more going for it than hickory in terms of being bow wood because it is a little stronger in compression than hickory. hickory is tough, is good bow wood and can take a pretty good bending and will shoot hard if it is at the appropriate moisture content. the worst thing about hickory is that it LOVES moisture. hickory selfbows are very difficult to keep at the desirable moisture content of around 8-9% because of the hygroscopic nature of hickory. not even the most advanced epoxy coatings will keep hickory from taking up moisture over time. I gave up on it because every hickory bow I've made began to deteriorate over time. by that I mean they would eventually develop more and more string follow and lose cast from taking up moisture over a period of a couple of years. the only way to overcome that is to store it in temp and humidity controlled chamber when not in use. at least keep it in a warm, dry place in winter and in as low humidity as you can in summer. what sort of finish did you put on your bow?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I suspect you pull your hickory bow a little more than 28"? for white wood bows a little long is much better than a little short, especially if you have a longer than average draw. I pull my wood bows about 28 1/2", and after years of shooting wooden bows, I've settled on 64" as the ideal length for me personally. I also only make osage and bamboo backed osage bows. osage has a bit more going for it than hickory in terms of being bow wood because it is a little stronger in compression than hickory. hickory is tough, is good bow wood and can take a pretty good bending and will shoot hard if it is at the appropriate moisture content. the worst thing about hickory is that it LOVES moisture. hickory selfbows are very difficult to keep at the desirable moisture content of around 8-9% because of the hygroscopic nature of hickory. not even the most advanced epoxy coatings will keep hickory from taking up moisture over time. I gave up on it because every hickory bow I've made began to deteriorate over time. by that I mean they would eventually develop more and more string follow and lose cast from taking up moisture over a period of a couple of years. the only way to overcome that is to store it in temp and humidity controlled chamber when not in use. at least keep it in a warm, dry place in winter and in as low humidity as you can in summer. what sort of finish did you put on your bow?

31''+. I used one coat of stain and then four coats of pure tung cut with citrus solvent. Thanks for the great info.