Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fouled Bore.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I typically do a meticulous job of cleaning my muzzle loaders, but this afternoon I had them out to check them over and found one of them had a lot of fouling in the barrel. I don't know if I just didn't get it clean last time or if I forgot to do it all together. I ran a stiff brass brush down it with some oil until the brush slid through without resistance. then I swabbed it with a dry patch and ran the brush through it a few more times. It looks like I got most of it,but I can still see some "rough" area between the rifling grooves. I ran dry patches and wet patches through it until they came out clean, put a coat of bore butter down the barrel and put it back in the case.

Is there anything else I can do to try to get the rest of the rough area out? What do I need to do to prevent it from coming back?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I use the Hoppe's #9 Powder Solvent and then when I get the barrel good I put the gun up. Never had one left with rough sports after sitting awhile doing that.

If it is a really dirty barrel and I forgot to clean it after shooting and it set for awhile before I got back to it I would use the same powder solvent a few times and then a brass brush. Then I would take a cleaning patch and wrap the brass brush and use that a few times and then go with just the cleaning patch as normal. Never had an issue with it.

Huckleberry Finn

Is it your Genesis?

I can hardly keep mine clean. I normally scrub the shit out of the inside with a brass brush but I find that it's VERY hard to keep clean.

Gun shoots nice and it's served its purpose as an opener to muzzleloading, but I'd like to get a stainless steel barrelled gun and start "clean"

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Is it fowling or is it rust? If its fowling (burnt powder residue) apply a liberal application of a good solvent like #9 and allow it to sit for a half an hour and then use a tight bore brush and give it a good scrubbing. Repeat if necessary. If it is rust try J-B bore paste, it is abrasive and can clean up some light rust.

Steve you should also try j-b on that rough barrel.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
No, not the genesis. Itks the CVA. The patvhes came out with a rust color. Will try the J-B.

I don't have any problem with the genesis, I clean it good and then run a patch covered with bore butter down it. That usually keeps it clean till the next use. Just be sure to swab that out before you shoot it again. I found the bore butter makes the barrle to "slippery" the bullet comes out without being able to catch the rifling.