Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snake bites itself!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This is trippy - decapitated copperhead, in it's death throes, bites itself.
Crazy.
But what do we learn?

[video=youtube;7C8UqgVK4EI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C8UqgVK4EI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. Growing up in the south you learn a snakes not dead until you burry the head. Many people have been bit by a snake they shot or bashed with a stick. Notice too how quickly the copperheads neuro venom killed its own nerve reaction. Snakes are not immune to their own venom. And very few like the king snake are immune to venom. All that wiggling around was nerves and you can see how fast that copperheads neuro venom acted.

Ps. I hate snakes!

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I saw that in person when I first moved out here to the country. It was a milk snake, and we cut it's head off, although we left several inches of "neck". It kept turning around and biting at itself for several minutes.

I was amazed and learned then that a snake is still dangerous even w/o its head attached!

When I was a kid our dog saber and I where playing in a creek. I saw a snake by the creek bank but before I made it over to check out old saber had killed it. I was fascinated by how long the snake wiggled around after it was dead. About an hour later the snake was motionless. Reptiles nervous systems are very different than ours. I'm very lucky that it was just an eastern water snake that I tried to touch and not a water moccasin. If I have kids once they can walk i'm getting them a cur dog. The two curs I have had; one as a boy and one as a teenager/adult have kept me safe on more than one occasion.