Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Does anyone think?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I was thinking, and being in the HVAC business I've been thinking a lot about this abnormally cold weather and how it has been effected our business. Usually we are swamped and absolutely humping right now, but that is not the case the past few weeks.

If this weather stays the same and doesn't warm back up how many of you think it could play a role in really screwing with the deer season, specifically the rut? If it stays colder through the evenings do you think the rut could be kicking in earlier than normal? Or do you think it could just translate into higher deer activity do to the cooler temps?

Just wanting to see what others thoughts are.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Temps may have something too do with it in some small way, but I've read that it's the actual amount of daylight through the day or lack of that brings it on..... I could be remembering wrong so correct me if I am.....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Don't worry Hoyt. Come November the temps will be back up in the 80's when we're all out the trying to full tags.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Don't worry Hoyt. Come November the temps will be back up in the 80's when we're all out the trying to full tags.

Haha, ain't that the truth!

My personal opinion is between the mild summer and all the rain we have had, we will have a great bow season. Crops are growing well in my area and a bit ahead of schedule. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think this year is gonna be one of the best we've seen in a while!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Huck, I am enjoying the cooler weather personally, I would love this weather all the time except during deer season, but it is a catch 22. I need it to be HOT!!!! to be able to make money right now.

Sean, unfortunately you are probably right. :smiley_blackeye:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I think if it stays ? And is cooler we will see a better season do to movement and the crops around here are in great shape also. The rut will happen when it's supposed too. If its cooler we just see more movement.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
The rut will happin as normal due too the day light in my opinion. But I do think the cooler weather will help keep the deer moving better. It could be like this year round it wouldn't bother me since I work road maintenance.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking tonight "Why in the world am I wearing a jacket to ride my motorcycle home on August 13?" I have a pretty tall fairing on the bike and don't get a ton of wind but it was nippy tonight around 830-930pm while riding. You aren't the only one noticing the weird weather. It has affected our business as well. Most residential accounts are billed per trip. Those invoices are up. Our commercial stuff is either per trip or billed seasonally. Darn shame we are still mowing those accounts weekly. Every time we cut them I cringe. Just a bit more off the bottom line.

I agree with the rest in regards to deer. Might be better early season doe hunting. Might even get the bucks moving a bit earlier in the early season. I don't think it will affect the rut.

Huckleberry Finn

What was that joke last season about waking up and pissin all over the place, maybe tearin up the neighbors trees?!

54 this morning and it feels DAMN GOOD!!

I'll take a few days of this, then we'll hit a "dry" 80 for about 3 weeks, then back to this for the year....

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I know its hurt my comany bad. no A/C being cranked up, etc. I think we will be OK, I am expecting it to warm back up. I bet we will see 90s again before its over.

Buckmaster

Portage
The rut is all about the amount of available daylight, moon phase, then temperature. Week 2-4 of Nov. as usual.

It is very nice weather being out on the football fields.

I have enjoyed my last electric bill at $ 58.47.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This weather if messing with MY internal clock, that's for sure.
I'm just hoping for a dry fall - and this might sound stupid, but I hope it's just not as windy this year as last.
Seems like every weekend the wind was blowing like crazy.

A cool, dry, calm fall....that's what I'm ordering up.

My understanding is the rut is that the decreasing photoperiod is what causes the change in hormones. Similar to sheep and horses. Enjoy parts of it while you can! I am definitely seeing lower sales numbers in relation to "hot weather" parts.