Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona mule deer hunt

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Things are starting to come together. Today I received my tag in the mail, and got my plane tickets purchased.

The season that I was drawn for is there second rifle season, that runs 11/1-11/7. The units that i will be hunting is 39,40a and 40b. That is the surrounding area of Yuma. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of missing a prime time here, but that's how it goes. I will be leaving 10/29 to get a couple days in out there and settled in with some time beforehand.

out of the group of guys that my uncle runs with I drew the only tag. the plus side to that is my scouting base will be larger. How the hell do you go from hunting ag and wood lots to wide open desert. Anyhow I thought I would start a thread to keep updated and share photos with. All I know is there's a lot to get busy with, and the more I think the more questions I keep asking.

teej89

NE PA
Good luck hope you get one! My dad and I are headed to South Dakota for muley's next fall for a week, like you said the whole spot and stalk is gonna be a huge learning curve.

JOHNROHIO

Probably a 270. I don't have any big boy rifles, and don't think that I will buy one for one hunt.
At this time I'm just planing on using my uncles. I will get hold of one around here to practice long range and to get comfortable with it. Prior to getting there then slide into some practice time with his.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Probably a 270. I don't have any big boy rifles, and don't think that I will buy one for one hunt.
At this time I'm just planing on using my uncles. I will get hold of one around here to practice long range and to get comfortable with it. Prior to getting there then slide into some practice time with his.

Not sure if he will have any....

500 will be a chip shot by the time you are back.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
You're gonna have a blast! Just the adventure alone is worth the trip. Add to it the fact that you've got a group of experienced guys scouting it up for you & working to put you on some deer, well, it should be one hell of a great time. I expect daily text updates TOO!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You're gonna have a blast! Just the adventure alone is worth the trip. Add to it the fact that you've got a group of experienced guys scouting it up for you & working to put you on some deer, well, it should be one hell of a great time. I expect daily text updates TOO!

Me TOO. No signal? Better rent a SAT phone.

JOHNROHIO

There hasn't been much to update lately. My uncle has sent a few trail cam videos, not that cams work all thr great in the desert. The few that videos he had were on a water hole.
I received an email the other day that the desert is in super shape, almost to good for hunting. They have had a relative " cool wet " summer also keeping to much green. The deer have way to much food sources to choose from.

I'm 3 weeks out from my leave day and have still a lot to get done first, of course I have gotten pre occupied with our season. My goal for this week is to find some camo and boots. If any of you have had any desert hunting experience with camo patterns let's hear it. I don't want to get real crazy with it. It's a week hunt, then I'm sure it will be a long time before I would need that kind of camo again. As far as boots I'm pretty sure you don't hunt out there with muck boots. Gonna start with Bella's bargain cave and see what I can come up with.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Wow! 3 weeks is gonna get here fast man. Better get that "to do" list hammered out. If there's anything I can help with just let me know.

I'd try to find the lightest, most comfortable boots I could. That way you can wear them on the next DIY Elk hunt. :smiley_blink:

badger

*Supporting Member*
There hasn't been much to update lately. My uncle has sent a few trail cam videos, not that cams work all thr great in the desert. The few that videos he had were on a water hole.
I received an email the other day that the desert is in super shape, almost to good for hunting. They have had a relative " cool wet " summer also keeping to much green. The deer have way to much food sources to choose from.

I'm 3 weeks out from my leave day and have still a lot to get done first, of course I have gotten pre occupied with our season. My goal for this week is to find some camo and boots. If any of you have had any desert hunting experience with camo patterns let's hear it. I don't want to get real crazy with it. It's a week hunt, then I'm sure it will be a long time before I would need that kind of camo again. As far as boots I'm pretty sure you don't hunt out there with muck boots. Gonna start with Bella's bargain cave and see what I can come up with.

Maybe a pair of snake boots is in order, especially with all the vegetation you mentioned.
Good luck on your hunt John, looking forward to the updates!
By the way, can you take javelina on this hunt?

JOHNROHIO

Maybe a pair of snake boots is in order, especially with all the vegetation you mentioned.
Good luck on your hunt John, looking forward to the updates!
By the way, can you take javelina on this hunt?

No javelina, I don't think there in season and I believe there a draw tag there.

JOHNROHIO

I ended up going with cabelas outfitter camo. Went there today, picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns in the cave for $104 and a set of there camo.

JOHNROHIO

Well the day has arrived! Step one, to get on a grueling 4.5 hour flight into PHX then after just enough time to run to my next plane, I'll be hopping onto a commuter for another hour into my final stop of Yuma Arizona. My deer hunt does not start till Friday, but with much anticipation to get out to the desert Im sure my uncle will have me out to see some of the ground I will be covering. Hoping to get after some bobcats, desert dogs and what ever else I can shoot.

I will be sure to update daily with my endeavors and photographs along the way.