Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Apples is bulk

teej89

NE PA
I'm going out to the property this weekend to pull some cards and was gonna pick up some corn and was looking at getting a lot apples to lug out there also. I live in columbus will be traveling towards Dayton so anywhere between here and there relatively close to 70 is good for me. Anyone know of any places where I'd be able to get them in bulk?

Last edited:

rooster85

Lake County
I approached the manager at Kroger last year and asked what they did with unused produce. He said they throw it all away. I asked if I could get the apples and he said he wasn't allowed to give away bad produce. That sucked.

I used to get barrels of produce from stores, i told them it was for my hogs and they didn't have an issue. Maybe the manager takes the apples?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to get barrels of produce from stores, i told them it was for my hogs and they didn't have an issue. Maybe the manager takes the apples?

I don't think he's a hunter. Maybe I will try again. I think they've switched managers since then.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, but I thought this might be good info for ya in case you wanted to try your local grocery store.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I don't think he's a hunter. Maybe I will try again. I think they've switched managers since then.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, but I thought this might be good info for ya in case you wanted to try your local grocery store.

Sounds like you need some hogs? Lol. What the store manager don't know, won't hurt him?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Not for sure if it's right, but I heard it's because of the E-Coli crap been going on.

TJ....You're gonna have to get on the phone and call around. Some orchards do not sell apples by the crate. Not sure what they're gonna cost now, but I was getting 800# for 100.00 cash. Last year, they were going for 160. because of the drought. Call several to find the best price. You want any variety of Yellow apples as your #1 pick~~ if you can get them. Red delicious is #2 pick. Jonathan's are the last apple to ever buy for deer. Believe it or not, deer like certain apples better. (This came from the orchard owner)

I'm going to make a trip to Michigan for carrots before long.

teej89

NE PA
Not for sure if it's right, but I heard it's because of the E-Coli crap been going on.

TJ....You're gonna have to get on the phone and call around. Some orchards do not sell apples by the crate. Not sure what they're gonna cost now, but I was getting 800# for 100.00 cash. Last year, they were going for 160. because of the drought. Call several to find the best price. You want any variety of Yellow apples as your #1 pick~~ if you can get them. Red delicious is #2 pick. Jonathan's are the last apple to ever buy for deer. Believe it or not, deer like certain apples better. (This came from the orchard owner)

I'm going to make a trip to Michigan for carrots before long.

Wow didn't know that about the type of apples lol sounds good ill have to make some calls this week and see what I can find. Thanks!

On a side note since I'm still trying to building mineral sites/baiting areas on my new property. I'm trying to figure out the best stuff to get to attract the most deer. I got 50# of corn at TSC 2 weeks ago as well as acorn rage and was gonna refresh the site this week. I was thinking a TSC salt block 50# of corn and apples in front of each cam. Whatcha guys think? Is that overkill?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Wow didn't know that about the type of apples lol sounds good ill have to make some calls this week and see what I can find. Thanks!

On a side note since I'm still trying to building mineral sites/baiting areas on my new property. I'm trying to figure out the best stuff to get to attract the most deer. I got 50# of corn at TSC 2 weeks ago as well as acorn rage and was gonna refresh the site this week. I was thinking a TSC salt block 50# of corn and apples in front of each cam. Whatcha guys think? Is that overkill?

For pics I use apples (while I have them available, 6 trees), corn and dried molasses. They REALLY like the dried molasses. Actually eat the dirt to get the sweetness. One 50# bag per 200#s of corn.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I approached the manager at Kroger last year and asked what they did with unused produce. He said they throw it all away. I asked if I could get the apples and he said he wasn't allowed to give away bad produce. That sucked.

A while back I needed a watch battery changed and was in wal-mart. The person at the jewelry counter couldn't get the back off and said she didn't want to break it. I asked if I could see the tiny screwdriver and try. She said they couldn't loan out their tools. I told her I wasn't working on my car It's a watch and I'm not going anywhere. She insisted. I insisted on a manager. The manager told me "we can't let you for liability reasons, you might hurt yourself. I asked if she had a key to the gun cabinet in sporting goods I want to look at a gun." Blank stare. I asked again to see the screwdriver. We can't its policy. I then proceeded to try on sunglasses and poke myself in the eye with every one. I banged my toe on counters, hit my wrist on cases and basically acted a fool. Stupid shit. But I felt better anyway after proving my point.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Similar thing happened at a tj max. Jessica was getting these two yankee candles. Last two they had. One had a crack in the glass and she asked if they would discount it. The girl behind the counter needed manager authorization. Manager shows up and said they couldn't sell it. I asked why. It's broken glass and a safety issue. I stared at him for a moment at a loss for words. Seriously I said..... Yes. It's a liability. So what do you do with it? Throw it away. So what's to stop me from getting in your dumpster and getting it. He said. Nothing if you wan it that bad. I replied. You mean your dumpster doesn't have a lock to keep people out? Now thats a fucking liability. and walked out.

Buckmaster

Portage
To ad to Joe's topic.

I was in WalMart after Christmas. They were stripping the shelves of Xmas tree lights. I asked the attendant if they were going back to the warehouse for a year's storage.
He replied, "No, we throw them away in the dumpster."
I asked, "Do you go dumpster diving?"
He replied, "No we're not allowed."
A crying shame throwing perfectly working products away into our landfills.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A while back I needed a watch battery changed and was in wal-mart. The person at the jewelry counter couldn't get the back off and said she didn't want to break it. I asked if I could see the tiny screwdriver and try. She said they couldn't loan out their tools. I told her I wasn't working on my car It's a watch and I'm not going anywhere. She insisted. I insisted on a manager. The manager told me "we can't let you for liability reasons, you might hurt yourself. I asked if she had a key to the gun cabinet in sporting goods I want to look at a gun." Blank stare. I asked again to see the screwdriver. We can't its policy. I then proceeded to try on sunglasses and poke myself in the eye with every one. I banged my toe on counters, hit my wrist on cases and basically acted a fool. Stupid shit. But I felt better anyway after proving my point.

That's friggin awesome!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
To ad to Joe's topic.

I was in WalMart after Christmas. They were stripping the shelves of Xmas tree lights. I asked the attendant if they were going back to the warehouse for a year's storage.
He replied, "No, we throw them away in the dumpster."
I asked, "Do you go dumpster diving?"
He replied, "No we're not allowed."
A crying shame throwing perfectly working products away into our landfills.

Did you go dumpster diving? lol