Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bumper Hitch

Huckleberry Finn

I'm looking to put a bumper hitch on the Subaru for carrying a bumper basket rack (so that I can shoot a basket rack buck and put him on the back of the 'ole Subaru myself without someone else to tie him to the roof rack).

I'd love to not drop $150 on a hitch and another $80 on the rack... I have zero intentions of ever towing anything with this car so this is strictly for the rack.

Thoughts?

I looked at the ole Harbor Freight bumper receivers today and I'm not overly giddy (mostly due to inexperience) about drillin holes in my frame... http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-step-bumper-receiver-69670.html

Thoughts on either the bumper hitch or the basket?

(And yea, you can tell me to get a truck...if you show me one that gets 35mpg I will!)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you have anything you can actually bolt it to? Is your bumper plastic covering metal or just a plastic bumper? The bumper hitch you showed would be okay mounted to a big metal truck bumper but I would be afraid it would twist your bumper if you put much weight on it at all.

Another thought: Aren't most of the baskets rated for 200lbs or less?

Huckleberry Finn

No I think you're right Phil...the more I research this the less I think I have in bumper. If I could mount that further back, it'd be possible....I need something with a plate/bar that is about twice the length as that one...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sorry, just saw your text and was going to get back with you tomorrow since it was late. Yeah, the bumper hitch is probably not going to work. Hmm...I cannot think of a good alternative on the cheap.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Go too a trailer shop and talk too an installer about what hit h it'll take too do what you want those guys know all the ins and outs too most makes and models....

Huckleberry Finn

Sorry, just saw your text and was going to get back with you tomorrow since it was late. Yeah, the bumper hitch is probably not going to work. Hmm...I cannot think of a good alternative on the cheap.

No problem man, I appreciate it. Gonna have to scratch some hillbilly heads on this one.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
subaru-outback-wagon-2008-thule-450r-crossroad-rb47-rapid-bars-611-boxter-cargo-box-locks.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

There is a set of rails on the top that I tied my deer to last year. I am trying to avoid the hoisting a 250lb slob buck on top of the car solo!!! It's not about the gear, it's the hauling part.

I will probably opt for the nicest tarp money can buy and in a solo situation, fold the seats down and throw 'em in the back...or sac up to the roof.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Huck I will save you a hole load of problems. You knock one down, just give me a call and I will bring the jeep down and haul your deer for you. That way you don't have to worry about breaking the springs on your Subby. :smiley_coolpeace:

Huckleberry Finn

Huck I will save you a hole load of problems. You knock one down, just give me a call and I will bring the jeep down and haul your deer for you. That way you don't have to worry about breaking the springs on your Subby. :smiley_coolpeace:

Haha you're the one who told me I needed to put one on the Subura!!