Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

mink

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Thinking about targeting mink this year. I have several ditches close too home and a river. Muskrats are about extinct around here, and it seems there are plenty of mink. I have trapped coon and rats and last year started on k9s doing fairly well. What sets are you guys using and what baits any info is very helpful.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I saw my first one turkey hunting near a creek in Williams Co. this past spring.

OK I have a couple that work for me

#1 is for both rats and mink
Mid ditch , set a conabear just under the surface
Use sticks to force the mink and rats to the trap , sort of a funnel from both upstream and down
Put a dive stick over the trap and sticks under the trap if needed to force the rats up

#2 is a bait set
Along the bank , find a old rat hole just above the water
Or dig a hole
Bait with 1/2 a rat ( Skined ) or chunks of frozen shad ...carp will also do
And add a few drops of Mink Scent bait
2 ways for traps
Either a leghold , long chain and drown stick
Or a conabear trap over the hole , I like to turn the trap upside down
With the trip wires pointing up up , but it can freeze tight
So check it

#3 is OH so simple
Find a under cut bank or tree roots
If above the water , a leghold trap
If partly under water , a conabear trap set to catch the mink as it searchs for food

#4 is the one that a old timer showed me
Take a 18" long chunk of 2x6 In the middle run a nail through to hold a chunk of fish
Add a few drops of mink scent bait

Staple some chicken wire to form a tunnel 8" long in the middle , 4" acrost and high
Cover with straw or long grass and add another layer of chicken wire
On each end put a leghold trap , I use 4 lb fishing line to hold the trap in place , but real light string will also work
Use a eye screw to hold the traps to the 2x6

Anchor the 2x6 & traps mid stream
Use a decent piece of wire
As I have caught more than a few coon early in the season with this set is the water is shallow

Hope you get some mink
Just watch the scent glands when you skin them

John

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Man, we realy need to get some "how to" videos from you guys that do all the trapping. I would love to get into it, but I can only learn so much from reading about it, I need to be able to see it as well. A trappers get together would be awesome as well, give us begginers a chance to actually put our hands on some of the traps and snares and get some pointers from the pros.

If any of you guys were to take a video camera with you when you are out setting your traps, I guarantee I would watch them all.

badger

*Supporting Member*
First off mink are critters of habit who are very repetitious when it comes to travel routes and hunting grounds. I use this to my advantage when ever possible. They also have a very high metabolism and need to eat often which forces them to hunt accordingly. They do have a fairly large home range, but will be back in an area they have visited before. It may take awhile, but they will be back. They tend to hole up in spots along the way. Watch for tracks going into abandon holes and old beaver huts. They have to come back out, so you need to survey the area and look for spots to nab them.

I'm a die hard blind set guy when it comes to mink. Not that I don't catch my share in baited sets as well, but the majority of my catches are in blind sets. Primarily, I target pinch points for my blind sets. This can be where a mink is running a creek bank and is forced in the water, or vice versa. These spots are perfect for a foothold under about an inch of water. Keep in mind they have very short legs and need to swim soon after the water deepens, so pan depth needs to be shallow. Also, a mink doesn't weigh much, so it doesn't take a big trap to hold them down. I do occasionally set up a drowning set but not often. Most times just staking in a foot or two of water with a longer chain is sufficient.

Like I said, look for pinch points or something that will funnel the mink to your set. You can also place a rock/log, or whatever you have at hand to create a pinch point. It isn't rocket science, just use your imagination and keep it simple. Overhanging root tangles are favorites for mink and they love to check them for prey. Mink are well known for hunting water, but they spend a ton of time on dry land as well. Tall grass/ weeds up on the creek banks are loaded with mice and other food, and provide great spots for trail sets. These can be set up with 110's and snares. After a heavy rain, there's lots of small minnows, frogs, etc that get washed up in these weeds and mink take advantage of the free meals.

There's a lot more I can go on about, but this should get you started. I'll be back on the boards more often now and will keep an eye on this thread, so feel free to ask questions.

Dale

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Thanks Dale I appreciate the pointers I've been studying and read a lot on the blind sets and it does make common sense. Thanks again I will keep you posted this year. My main stay is coon and canines I love setting dirt holes and post sets for fox and yotes its a great feeling coming to a full trap. Thanks again.