Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A big reason ARs are so popular

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Changability

I have 2 Armalite National Match rifles that I bought when my kids were shooting service rifle. Haven't shot them much the last couple of years. Been thinking about getting a flat top upper to use one as a varmint rifle but just couldn't bring myself to spend the $6-700 minimum one costs.

A couple of weeks ago a went to Camp Perry to checkout commercial row. I saw new, stripped Rock River A4 uppers for $85. So I'm get to thinking (always dangerous) I have great barrel, float tube, bolt carrier group etc I can swap from one upper to another. So the upper, a Magpul CAR stock, and a few tools follow me home.

Here's a before and after of the rifle. I'll scope it and see how I like it.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yep that's all it takes. I have 2 AR varmint rifles. Both flat tops. One is in a regular 223 and the other is in 223AI (Ackley Improved). The 223AI is about 300 fps faster than the regular 223 so that puts it in to the 22-250 range.
The AR platform setup right will shoot with the best.
Nice improvement.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hmm.. . . That makes me think of making some changes. Would it be wrong to make changes to a Colt sp1?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sweet set up Sam.

Its fun to shoot both ends of the spectrum. Flintlock and AR's!

My first AR build was a while back
I even read a how to pamplet
I got a kit with the upper allready done

Took me a hour or so to finish the rest

It felt great to take it out and test fire it for the first time

John

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd like to build one too, but I'd want it in .308 caliber or at the very least in .243. Perhaps I should start buying a part here and there, until I have all that I need to get it done. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

See me in Lima as my son might have a 308 upper for a AR10 for sale. I'll check. Hell he might have everything.