Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Target panic!!!!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I never thought I'd suffer from Target Panic, but I'm pretty sure I've got it.

I have developed a bad case of anticipating the shot and jerking like I'm startled when I shoot. The result is a wide and dispersed pattern that has no consistently. By the end of my shooting session I've usually talked myself through it by going over a check list in my head: draw, focus, exhale, focus, smooth release, hold bow arm steady, follow though......

Another factor that affects it, at least for me, is a scatter brain. I'm AADD so my mind often races with thoughts of anything from work, chores, finances, future retirement, money, stressors, second career and even the kitchen sink. On good days when I'm relaxed I'm doing pretty darn good, but days when I'm stressed it's a chore to clear my head and focus on having a good time.

I always get like this before big hunts though so maybe this is just par for the course. The good thing is that when game time comes my focus has always been on having a great time hunting which correlates with great shooting.

In the mean time I'm focusing on shooting shorter ranges and managing my form. This week the problem seems to be with my release. Last week it was using my shoulders vise inner back to hold the bow at full draw, the week before bow arm control, and so on......

Pray for me.......:smiley_bril:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I can relate to the ADD and scatter brain issue. I've only been instinctive shooting for a month now and if I don't have focus, my release suffers. I am confident that you will have focus when it matters most.

Jamie

Ohio
I've struggled with it in the past, but not so much any more. still have some lapses, but I beat target panic. it is all about focus and control. when my mind is wandering, I put the bow away. when my back and shoulders are tired, I put the bow away. sometimes not shooting for a few days is the best medicine to avoid making it worse. one arrow practice rounds helped me a bit, too. throwing a tennis ball around the yard and shooting with a judo is a nice change of pace, too.

another thing I used to do as a sort of warm up is get up within 5-10 feet of your target and draw the bow, close your eyes and just feel your anchor, back tension, etc. and focus on solid bow arm and smooth release all with eyes shut. I'd shoot about 10 arrows like that, then back up and practice at regular distance.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I've struggled with it in the past, but not so much any more. still have some lapses, but I beat target panic. it is all about focus and control. when my mind is wandering, I put the bow away. when my back and shoulders are tired, I put the bow away. sometimes not shooting for a few days is the best medicine to avoid making it worse. one arrow practice rounds helped me a bit, too. throwing a tennis ball around the yard and shooting with a judo is a nice change of pace, too.

another thing I used to do as a sort of warm up is get up within 5-10 feet of your target and draw the bow, close your eyes and just feel your anchor, back tension, etc. and focus on solid bow arm and smooth release all with eyes shut. I'd shoot about 10 arrows like that, then back up and practice at regular distance.

I was the opposite. I shot through it. Blank bale, very close, eyes closed and just shoot. Shot a lot, until I was sore for about three days.

I have gotten it with a longbow, compound, rifle and handgun. The only remedy for me is many, many blind rounds. Form, breathing, shot follow through with my eyes closed or at minimum no target face.

Prayers sent ;)

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio

Great advise, squirrely. I was going to suggest, kind of the same thing. Up close to the target butt with eyes closed. This takes away the fear of missing your target and more focus on your form and shot setup and release.

Diablo54

Outside
You know what to do chuck. A lot of the things I was going to say have already been said. But I suffer from it as well. Mine was more of a anchor issue but it leads to release issues after awhile as well. The things that have helped me the most are

• shoot with your eyes closed
•. Shoot at 5 yards and don't worry ab aim

• walk around the target, drawing your bow and aiming at what you want to hit but never release the arrow. Do it 10-15 times

• draw-take a deep deep breath-exhale-release. If I can convince myself to do that I shoot 10x better than I used to.

I was beginning to think I was over bowed. But I did it with the lighter bow I used last year as well. I've slowly grown out of it. But I still feel it.

What bow and poundage are you shooting for your hunt?

Jamie

Ohio
all joking aside, dannmann, that actually does help me. a couple beers, a glass of wine, a t&t does alleviate some of the "panic". to the other extreme, I always make it a point to get my heart rate up real good for some practice sessions to imitate the rush and elevated heart rate that comes along with shooting at game.

Chuck, fwiw, I've always gotten a bit worked up before going on a big hunting trip, and it has invariably affected my shooting. if this is a completely new problem for you, just take a step back, relax and enjoy every shot. the more you worry about it, the more you are dwelling on it, the worse it gets. you know you that you are capable of hitting the mark, make it a point to not forget that.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Many, many shooters use a downer of some type before shooting. Last big 3D shoot I went to there were many who smelled of skunk...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lots of good advise here.
I've had it, it beat me (with Trad gear). I used to be one of the best trad shooters around. Not braggin, that's fact. One year, in the middle of the IBO season, I was shooting probably 300 arrows a day, and it all went to crap. Instead of trying to shoot a baseball size group and being happy with it, I decided I needed to tighten things up. I crossed a line there somewhere, and my mind just snapped. It got to the point I couldn't hit an entire rubber deer! The only thing that worked for me was to QUIT shooting...not an option for you. I can days without shooting now, walk out back and pin the killzone all day long....but I think that's because I just don't care so much these days. I don't think I could ever trust myself with trad gear on a big hunt... The old "really want to make this shot" demon would likely rear its ugly head!
It doesn't sound like you are that far gone yet, Chuck. If I were you, I'd take Jamie's advise - I'd shoot LESS, and concentrate on making those few shots.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Great advise and I appreciate the help.

I have thought about going to the one arrow only shot. Funny because my first arrow is always my best. I had this same problem back in 2006 and that was how I worked through it.

I'll be GTG though. Even though my shots are all over the place they still easily fall inside an elk sized kill zone. :smiley_bril:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Hey! Think I'm A Marine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kin do this chit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lots of good advise here.
I've had it, it beat me (with Trad gear). I used to be one of the best trad shooters around. Not braggin, that's fact. One year, in the middle of the IBO season, I was shooting probably 300 arrows a day, and it all went to crap. Instead of trying to shoot a baseball size group and being happy with it, I decided I needed to tighten things up. I crossed a line there somewhere, and my mind just snapped. It got to the point I couldn't hit an entire rubber deer! The only thing that worked for me was to QUIT shooting...not an option for you. I can days without shooting now, walk out back and pin the killzone all day long....but I think that's because I just don't care so much these days. I don't think I could ever trust myself with trad gear on a big hunt... The old "really want to make this shot" demon would likely rear its ugly head!
It doesn't sound like you are that far gone yet, Chuck. If I were you, I'd take Jamie's advise - I'd shoot LESS, and concentrate on making those few shots.

Great advice Brock!

I've been blessed to not have much problem with it but I can see where if a person who shoots ALOT and has HIGH expectations could have battles with that demon.

Gordo

Athens County
TP knocked me out of archery when i was young. Prob about 12 years old. I was shooting a ton. Lots of 3d and indoor shooting.

One day it all went to shit. Couldnt even let my pin float on the bullseye. Missing the entire target. Everything was going wrong.

To this day i still have occasional battles with it, but my brain can over come it.

I think the reason it shows up in the first place is shooting too much. Shooting just to pump arrows can result in more harm then good. Those bad habits get engrained in your head that much easier when your tired.

My advice would be same as brocks. Slow it down. Way down.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My TP experiences have always had a trigger (pun intended).

Rifle...shooting surplus ammo that had hangfires. Two did me in for a good while. Compound...release broke. Longbow...nock gave way and I shot my garage.

I still find it funny that I should be able to get over such things easily. Sometimes it is not so easy.

Target panic....heck how many are afraid of reading the thread because it could be contagious?!?! LOL! I think a lot of people have it from time to time and are afraid to admit it. I'd be the first one to raise his hand on that one. Great advice everyone....now...as long as I don't 'catch it' any more I'll be happy!!