Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dove Season

teej89

NE PA
Hey guys I'm looking at going out for some doves to kill the time till bow season starts. However the land I have out west there isn't much of a dove population for what I've seen so far. Not that I've been looking that hard.

But I was looking at checking out Delaware Wildlife Area and Deer Creek Wildlife area. Anyone have any opinions on which of the two? Or if there's another you'd recommend me checking out. Do they get slammed with dove hunters? I wouldn't be out the first weekend, gonna be in FL but I'll be out the second weekend.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've hunted them both & they can both been good. The best shoot is usually on the first day with lots of hunters keeping birds on the move, but since you'll be in FL no need to worry about that. Shooting can still be decent after the opener. Sometimes even better since most people only hunt doves on Sept 1st and then forget about them after that. Most of my experience recently has been up at Delaware since I'm closer to there. Which ever you're closer to, I'd say just take a drive and scout it out. Stop at the office and pick up a map. Ask the people working which fields are planted for doves, and what they've been seeing. Most of the time you'll get some decent advice. Good luck!!

teej89

NE PA
I'll run around up here in Michigan and scare them off the bird feeders so they fly south so you guys can shoot them!! Can't hunt them up here!! :tantrum: :tantrum:

I wouldn't necessarily say I hunt them... Hunting entails at some point making a kill. I go out and scare em by shooting at them and missing them the majority if not all of the time hahahaha