Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

planning vacation time

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So i am putting together my plans for time off this fall. I am taking friday Oct. 11th through sunday the 13th for the strouds weekend for sure.

I just finished reading the moon thread from last year and had my wife download the isolunar app to her phone. I have been trying to find some consistancy between the moon rise /set times and Alsheimers rutting moon theory. I dont see any.
According to what I saw on the tables, Sunday the third Should be good due to the fact that the moon and sun rise and set at the same time. This will occur on monday december second as well, which I think is the gun opener. Alsheimer says to be hunting between the 13th and the 23rd.

I have never taken the gun opener off, so I think I will this year, that leaves me with three days. I dont like to take a whole week at a time because i dont have paid vacations and no check at all for a whole week sucks. So i need to break it up. I'm thinking about friday the 15th through monday the 18th to play to charlies theory, as well as monday the 4th, the day after the moon and sun are in the sky together.

What ya all think, any thing else I should be looking at?

Oh by the way. looks like the moon isnt going to help at strouds moon rise is between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm on those three days. Thats the best i could find.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I just called the boss. He told me to watch the weather and to not schedule much from Halloween to Thanksgiving. I said sure ;)

Huckleberry Finn

I just called the boss. He told me to watch the weather and to not schedule much from Halloween to Thanksgiving. I said sure ;)

Self employed dick!

--

Everyone in the office has asked me when I'm taking my "summer" vacation time. Don't worry folks, it's coming.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm only sold on hunting the moon a select few times. I am lucky in that I can take my vacation without preplanning or preapproval. As it stands right now, I'll have 8 days for hunting not counting the Friday of Strouds. I plan to take off 10/31-11/6, 11/14-11/19, and 11/25 for the opener. If I kill something and have left over vacation, I'll take it all to duck/goose hunt.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I plan on taking off Sept. 28 thru Jan. 31. May have a gunshow weekend to cover during that time period but I hope not.
I may have to cover couple Credit Union Meetings by phone. So I'll tell them if I quit talking I'm deer hunting.

Last edited:

joejoe8

Nov. 5-15 this year, last few years it seems that we see mature bucks moving around the 7th on.

IMO
If the weather is OK
The first week of Nov is normaly the best Buck hunting

That said
I am off for at least 6 more months
So I will try to hunt a lot of days

So depending on Doc Appointments , I will be hunting deer and ducks a lot

John

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I seen the most movement in 2012 on Nov 10th. Had 7 bucks got through my woods in 11 hrs. My grandson seen 11 bucks and does on the same day in 4 hrs. between 7:00AM and 11:00AM on the new 3 ac. property I got permission on.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sept 28th Vaca
Oct. 11&12 Vaca
Nov. 9th Vaca

There are my days off lol. Only have 3 vaca days 3 sick days(as of right now) and 3 personal days until the beginning of 2014 this is where I am at.

Bow opener
Strouds 1st day is vaca and 2nd day is a personal day
and the 9th is rut hunting for 3 days lol.

Still leaves me with sick hours and 2 days of personal days to float lol.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just started a new job a month ago and after 60 days I will start accumulating 4 hours of pto every two weeks and I will probably get sick at least once in November rotflmao