Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bats

Gordo

Athens County
Well we have bats livin inbetween the ceiling and the roof of our new place. Big piles of crap where they enter/exit. Id guess at minimal 100. They are slippin in through some tiny cracks. At dawn/dusk they are pooring in and out of there.

Anyone ever deal with that?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My parents had a few in there attic vents. Lawn chair, shotgun, and some beer was all it took to fix the problem. Usually when they are committed to the nest, they take a straight line towards it. Took me a couple evenings to figure that out, but once I did it was problem solved. Somehow I don't think this will work for you though! lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Seal up the attic and run a hose from a car exhaust up there during the day. Stay out of the house until you've aired it out.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Take some of the nylon screen and staple it above those cracks leaving the bottom and sides unstapled. They will push it to get out at dusk but won't be able to push it to get back in. Watch those cracks in the evening and as soon as you think they are all out of there staple the bottom and sides so you can make sure they don't find the edges and get back in. After a week climb back up and seal the holes with spray foam or whatever the material is wood, vynil siding or what not. Problem solved.

Buckmaster

Portage
We had them in the first house my parents ever bought. There were thousands. Wasn't disclosed by the realtor back in 1970.
My parents bought the house in the winter and found out they had a problem the next summer.
My dad checked out the attic wall where they lived and found 4 foot of bat dropping hidden between the studs in the walls.
The exterminator used DDT in exchange for my father's "hush agreement" and there was never a bat seen again.
With me being a newborn at the time, bat poop, plus DDT'd, my parents soon sold that house.

So the moral of the story...if you wonder what's wrong with me....just blame it on the DDT exposure back in 1971.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
My grandparents had bats in the roof of their old farm house when I was a kid. There seemed like hundreds. I remember every so often my uncles would line up with their shotguns in the evening and take out as many as they could. They never got them all. Years later when one of my uncles tore down the house to put in a doublewide bats went everywhere when they started demo on the house. My parents live in the next house down the road and when I was outside at dusk the other night you could see 10-12 bats flying around.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
DAMN! I saw the title and thought it was an acronym for Big Ass TittieS. :smiley_coolpeace:

Hope you get it figured out, and bat poo is a great fertilizer so I've heard.