Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrels

rooster85

Lake County
Who's getting excited about chasing some tasty bushy tails this year? I enjoy hunting squirrels almost as much as deer, its almost like a step back in time to my childhood running through the mountains with a .22 and a peanut butter sandwich. Not a care in the world and certainly no electronics to get in the way of living. So who's ready?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My son has been begging me all summer to let him bust one in our yard. I'd say he'll be primed by the time season comes in.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I remember my first kill as well. My dad took me out behind my grandmas house with a single shot. .410 that I still have. I was probably 7 or 8. We took 2 steps in the woods from the yard and I busted one that ran up a dead fall, then paused to check us out. I was super pumped and ran back to the house to show my grandpa. He jokingly gave me a hard time for killing his "pet" as he loved to watch/feed the birds and squirrels. We killed another squirrel 5 minutes later and I was on top of the world. Squirrel hunting is such a great way to spend quality time in the outdoors.

I'm ready to stick a few with some carbon sticks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375888923.085395.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love to hunt squirrels! Have some awesome memories as a youngun and even much later slipping through a hickory grove,beech stand or an oak flat listening for some cutting or that telltale sign of one leaping from branch to branch. I remember very well of my first squirrel I took with my dads 22/410 over under and nearly took two simultaneously but I missed the second one due to being so pumped in killing the first one...lmao

Can't bring myself to kill any of the dozen or so I have in my back yard(hickory/oak woods). It would be no challenge and I enjoy watching them...dang

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Although, squirrel,squirrel gravy smothered over candied sweet potatoes sounds very good right now...double dang!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got my Ruger 10/22 dialed in at Woodbury so I'm ready. This will be my first time hunting them.

rooster85

Lake County
I love to hunt squirrels! Have some awesome memories as a youngun and even much later slipping through a hickory grove,beech stand or an oak flat listening for some cutting or that telltale sign of one leaping from branch to branch. I remember very well of my first squirrel I took with my dads 22/410 over under and nearly took two simultaneously but I missed the second one due to being so pumped in killing the first one...lmao

Can't bring myself to kill any of the dozen or so I have in my back yard(hickory/oak woods). It would be no challenge and I enjoy watching them...dang

Ive got a Savage 24 in 222/20 Ga thats taken a squirrel or two as well. Lol. It took 5 shots to drop that first squirrel, i was so excited. Got that tail at my parents house on the wall. Lol.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I used to live for it cause I had an older guy that would take everyone I killed. Today its hard to find anyone that wants them so I dont hunt them much.

Huckleberry Finn

I've had 1 great squirrel hunting morning where I dropped 3 in about half an hour...

Maybe I'll get out again this year, I like to always do at least 1 hunt.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I remember my first like it was yesterday. Single shot 410 also. I still have that gun and make it a point to pull it out once a year and take a walk through the squirrel woods.