Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need New Slug Gun Sight

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I bought a new Mossberg 500 last year befor gun season. Love the gun except the scope that came with it.

I am looking to get a new sight and want to get TOO's suggestions.

I think I want something with no magnification or very little mag. I would say a 3x would be the max but probably a 2x or 0 would be best for me.

Anyone use something they would recommend or have any suggestions of what to stay away from.

I am open to red dot or conventional reticles. Have not ruled out just installing iron sights and calling it good.

Your thoughts?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad has a Mossberg 500 with an older Tasco (precursor to the World Class series) and it is one of the most accurate gusn in our arsenal. I have never been a guy to buy pricey scopes, so I'd suggest a Bushnell or Tasco. I have Bushnell optics on all my rifles and they have done me well.

Have you considered a red dot?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Yes I am definitely considering a Red Dot sight. Probably my first preference if I can find one I like. Have never used one and have been a little hesitant. I have always shot with iron sights so I figured a Red Dot would be the easiest for me to use.
Last year was the first time I have ever owned a gun with a scope. The issue with the Scope that came with the gun is that it will not zero. I have it shooting as low as the adjusment allows and also have it almost as far left as it will go and it is still shooting high 8" and right about 4". I figure the scope that came with it is just a bad one.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have not ruled that out totally yet. After having the issue last year I put the gun up for a while. Took everything a part. Put it back together paying close attention to the mount. Got the exact same shooting pattern. Another thing I haven't ruled out is ammo. Been shooting the AcuTips but picked up a couple boxes of different shells to try out as well.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That problem sounds more like a gun or mount issue.

Yep.

I bought a Vortex Strikefire to put on an AR when I finally get one. I have not had it on a rifle yet, but I love the way it looks and operates. Might look in to that. Found a hell of a deal on Midway USA...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like having a scope on a slug gun. I've got a Nikon on my savage 220 and I really like it. For me, a 3-9 power scope is ideal. The 3x is nice for walking or close range to the treestand, but zooming into 9x makes those 75-150 yard pokes so much easier than iron sights IMO.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have the bushnell branded eotechs on my slug gun and my muzzleloader. My father in law also had me put one on his slug gun. I put a millet on the brother in laws also. They are great and fast to use.

Make sure to get either a quality one or one with a good warranty. I have seen the recoil of slugs break red doors literally to pieces or make them not able to hold zero.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Well I pulled the trigger on the Vortex Strikeforce. Going to mount it tonight boresight it and see what we have. I really like the look and feel of the Vortex. It came with a 2x magnifier as well. This may be the perfect solution for me. I will update everyone once I put some rounds down range.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Ok. I Thought I would update this thread.
I got the Vortex mounted and bore sighted the day I bought it.
In preparation for my hunt in Minnesota I figured I would try a couple different sabots out and see which was more consistent.
The day before hunting I put a few down range and was zeroed in within 3 shots.
Seems that the Federal Trophy Coppers were the ticket.
The sight works great can't wait to try it out in the woods.