Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Harness Recommendations

teej89

NE PA
I'm looking for everyone's opinions on harness recommendations? I've had one for a while but it doesn't have an attachment for a linemens belt. Now that I'm not using my climber anymore and going to the LW climbing stick/hang on I'm gonna need to use a linemens belt. BTW I put the stand up last weekend to see how it is and I love it. The harness LW gives you sucks but it made do, and I realized I really just have to trust my linemens belt when putting the sticks and stand up. Was a little nervous at first being +18ft in the air leaning back hanging on by the belt haha

Bowhunter I know you recommended the muddy, this one?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...=SBC;MMcat104791680;cat104783580;cat104639580

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep, that's the one. I love it. As I told you, some guys will bitch about the prusik knot on the linemans belt, but you will master it after some practice. It has been a great harness for me. After 3 years of solid use, it is still as good as new...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep, that's the one. I love it. As I told you, some guys will bitch about the prusik knot on the linemans belt, but you will master it after some practice. It has been a great harness for me. After 3 years of solid use, it is still as good as new...

I was one of those guys. I've got the new one that has the plastic shrink tube over the rope for the knot. Tons easier! Keeps the knot from getting too tight where its hard to move.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The thing about the prusik knot is you can go with as little as three wraps on the knot, depending on your weight. The less wraps you have, the easier the knot it to work, but it is also pretty flimsy. When I first got mine, it had four wraps, but now I have it down to three and find it much easier to work with.

I love my Muddy Harness. Only thing I wish it had was a built in pouch on the harness for the SRS (suspension relief strap).

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
So for this you have two ropes. One tied thru your linesmen loops on your harness then another that goes around the tree? And the prusik knot comes from wrapping the rope attached to your harness around the rope that's tied around the tree? Did I get that right? Just trying to picture it in my head.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So for this you have two ropes. One tied thru your linesmen loops on your harness then another that goes around the tree? And the prusik knot comes from wrapping the rope attached to your harness around the rope that's tied around the tree? Did I get that right? Just trying to picture it in my head.

On the muddy. The linemans rope works off a pursik knot. Goes around the tree and attaches on both of your sides by your waist.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
100_1289.jpg
This is a lineman's rope. The right side will connect to one side of your waist and will remain intact. The left carabiner is attached to the prusik knot. The knot cinches down when weight is applied to the carabiner. The lineman's rope allows you to adjust to different size trees by sliding the knot up and down the rope.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks flute! Makes perfect sense now. I was like how many damn ropes am I gonna need for this?! Haha easy enough tho. So you tie the prusik knot once tiring the beaner to the linemens rope? Then attach the beaner at the free end to your harness then sling the rope round the tree and attach the beaner(the one with the prusik knot) to your left side.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Muddy all the way. Got mine before last season and I love it. My favorite safety harness without a doubt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The prusik knot comes already tied. I attach the free end to the left side of my harness and run the knot with my right hand since I'm right handed. But you have the idea.

I have a big game EZ harness that I added the Hss rope style tree strap for use with a climber...When I got my LW sticks an stand I bought the muddy linemans rope off my buddy..I am not sure if its me being new to hangs an the rope or what,But I got one stick one the tree an climbed up all set up an could not get the rope adjusted...The loops on the harness sit kind of far back on your hips so maybe that is a factor..If I was buying new I would probably go muddy..But add a rope style tether for once I am in the stand...My understanding is the muddy does now come with that.....

teej89

NE PA
I like the tree spider micro the best out of all I've tried. Muddy was good also.

I was looking at the spider but for an extra $50 bucks.... I dunno if I could justify it. It's not like it's an arrow or sights or bow where the extra buck can help you, well get that extra buck(ba da ding!). And with all the liability risks I'm sure no one is gonna sell a harness that doesn't work.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was looking at the spider but for an extra $50 bucks.... I dunno if I could justify it. It's not like it's an arrow or sights or bow where the extra buck can help you, well get that extra buck(ba da ding!). And with all the liability risks I'm sure no one is gonna sell a harness that doesn't work.

Rural King has the Spider Micro for 99 bucks. Bass Pro and Sportmans Guide have the Muddy Safeguard for around 70 bucks right now.

teej89

NE PA
Rural King has the Spider Micro for 99 bucks. Bass Pro and Sportmans Guide have the Muddy Safeguard for around 70 bucks right now.

awesome thanks! I'm gonna get the one from sportsmans since my dad is a member. And I don't buy anything from bass pro anymore. Had a run in with them twice and won't do it again. However it was the staff that had me all hot headed and not the company as a whole but they pissed me off enough to never go again.

teej89

NE PA
great I'm always an inbetweener.... I'm 5-11 and 165-170lbs and here's the sizing chart. Whatcha think? I don't want the large if it's potentially gonna be large and bulky and have extra long straps hanging everywhere form me having to tighten it to the smallest setting. However I don't want it to not hold me hahaha! I know the factor of safety on these things are probably crazy! I'm sure if it says 170 it can hold 300# but.... I dunno. Whatcha think? I'm thinking large...

HarnessChart.jpg