Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

String suppressors

runhunter

Just curious to see who is using what these days and their experiences with each. Are you using Limb saver leech's, bow-jax, Monkey tails, old school cat whiskers etc...how have they held up?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't have anything on my strings. Just a factory string suppressor on my Strother and LimbSaver AlphaShox in the limbs. My Mathews has a Bernie's Dead Stop string suppressor. I've fooled with string mounted options in the past and have found I like my set ups better without them.

I don't have any on my bows now a days. I find they don't do much but slow down the string. If you don't have a string stop of some kind on your bow I'd suggest getting one. I stood down range at 40 yards behind a broadhead pit that was 25 feet to the left of the 40 yard target at an archery range. While a friend shot my Hoyt Katera which is a relatively "noisy" bow. I was some what surprised to find that all I could hear was the arrow hitting the target. If I did hear any bow noise it was after the arrow had hit the target. This very non scientific experiment has lead me to believe that when people say the deer ducked the arrow that it was more than liking the animal reacting to something they have seen, rather than they had heard.

Last edited:

runhunter

I shoot a CRX, with the Stealth Shot string suppressor on it. The original string had the LS leech's on it, and the bow was as quiet as can be. I put a new Winner's Choice string on this winter, and didn't put anything on the string but a peep and a D loop. I even went from a 390 gr arrow to a 460gr (Thanks Milo!!). There's just a slight twang when I shoot and I've been through every bolt and screw on the bow. The twang is nothing major, but I like to hear "fffffffttt" when I shoot.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have the string grubs that came on my mathews monster when i bought it, I also have cat whiskers that I'm about to take off.

runhunter

There's nothing you can do, buy or try, that is going to keep a deer from ducking an arrow. If a deer is on edge, that string noise is aboslutely the reason it ducks. The sound of speed travels a lot faster than any arrow, so just keep that in mind.
Personally, I just like a quiet bow. The twang just irritates me when I'm shooting, haha

I know I'm not going to gain any advantage in killing from a few less decibels, it's . I'm going to try the Apex Double Down's, which are a lot like the monkey tails from Mathews, and see what happens, 4 for $8. No press needed, just wrap around and pull through.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got the stock no-gloves on the string of my Strother. I've the done the cat whiskers thing in the past, though. If done correctly, you can get a nice tight ball of whiskers, about the size of a golf ball or less. I thought they worked pretty well. Nothing quiets a bow like shooting a heavier arrow, though.