Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes 2013/14 journal.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Might as well get it started.

This summer has been a little different so far. Normally redcloud and I would have been out shooting groundhogs, setting stands, scouting ... traipsing around the woods every other weekend. He decided to take a different approach this season and hasnt set foot in the woods since the end of last season. I Was kinda thinking the same way but I do like to watch the velvet bucks grow out and see some fawns. So my scouting time has been limited.

I mainly hunt 2 different properties. I have a trail cam and a stand on each, with a second stand on one of them that doesnt get used much. So far, my cams have been getting month long soaks. I dont want to go in there and spread a bunch of scent around. I am due to go check the one tomorrow and I think that while I am there, I will go ahead and check my stands, trim any summer growth that has crept into any shooting lanes, and trim some lanes for a couple climber trees I have picked out. After that, I will be checking that cam one more time at the beginning of september then it will get pulled before season starts. I had one get stolen from that property last year and once season starts I wont leave a cam there without a python.

As far as the prospects on the properties (designated as east and west) The west property has a group of three bucks showing up regularly, one of which has split G2s and would be the primary target for that spot. the other 2 are good looking youngsters that still need some time. While glassing the field the other night I spotted another buck that appears to be a loner. My binos are not the greatest and he was at least 350 yards out, but it looked to be a real solid 8 point, possibly even a ten. Hopefully he will show up on the card pull tomorrow. There are very few does left on this spot. I believe there are 2 pairs that i have seen and a loner. making 5. The loner was injured a couple months ago and I'm hoping to see her on the pull tomorrow just so i know shes still around. No fawns so far. (fuggin coyotes)

The east property has about the same number of does, and I have seen no fawns there either. There is a group of three bucks on that property as well, and 2 of them would work fine for me. the best one of the 2 is a dandy 10 point that i have named "Mr. T" I think he is my primary target for the season. There are typically other bucks that will show up on this place as the season progresses, but as far as what I've seen so far these three are the main residents, I would prefer to see more does show up anyway. I'm not due to check that cam for 2 more weeks, hopefully some more of the ladies will show.

My plan is to hunt the east property more than the west. I would like to kill that 10 point for sure. I have no intention of killing a doe on either property. I will either try to get permission in an area that has more of them, or take one from public land. Gonna be interesting to see how the cool, wet summer effects the acorns and hopefully we dont end up with a hotter than normal fall.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good stuff man. Should be a good season this year as long as some of the other guys don't show up for awhile and screw it up lol.

Was going to start a journal myself but with no feet on the ground there isn't much to put on the boards lol.

Might I add.....This is worthless without pics lmao

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Might I add.....This is worthless without pics

Ha ha.. point well taken. Been a busy mofo this morning, Hauled all that trash to the dump, changed oil in the jeep, mowed, trimmed, dug up some locust trees that had taken root next to the house, put together the ol' lady's patio table. taking a quick break right now to check the bank account before I go buy new brakes for the jeep.

I'll get some pics a little later.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

"Mr. T"

Two nights ago i saw a large buck but couldnt tell if it was the split G2 buck or another one. Last night redcloud and I were out there again and saw what we believed to be the same buck. If he traveled the path i think he did, I'll have him on camera when i go to pull the catd today. We shall see.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
[video=youtube;3cWzGY3wOVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWzGY3wOVE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

BAM!!

knew I did this before, just had to remember how. I think this is the buck we have been seeing while glassing. He is showing up at the same time, in the same place as this video from a month ago.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It was a good cam check today

[video=youtube;ed1SD8MivXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed1SD8MivXM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

dont know where this droptine came from, but I like him

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
and the knobby knee buck from earlier this summer has turned into a real nice 10 point

[video=youtube;lYohk7GsE9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYohk7GsE9Q[/video]

There were a couple other decent 8s and a smaller 6. But only a couple does. There is at least one fawn around as well. possibly 2.

Got lanes trimmed for my existing stands, and a couple lanes for 2 trees I have picked out for climbing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice card pull. I would say that split G2 was the buck that was out there with that doe the other night. No doubt in my mind.

I will put my cam out next week and let it take pics until the weekend before season starts and see whats out there on my side of the farm.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
It was the knobby knee ten the other night. He walked past my cam on his way to the northeast corner. The time was the same as when we were there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yeah Dante! That is a solid batch of perspective shooters right there bud. I like unique. The split g2 fits the bill for unique. I like drop tines! Droptine buck isn't a brute but I don't think I could pass him just to say I shot a droptine buck. That is cool! The knobby knee ten is looking real good too. Best of luck to you this season!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great pull Dave! The knobby kneed 10 looks great and the split g2 buck almost looks like a 3 beamed buck instead but too hard to tell.

Great start of your season buddy, hope you get a shot at any of these deer. Good luck this season!