Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The deer are at it again

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
As I have mentioned before I basically pasture my whole farm for cattle. I have installed 6 strands of high tension wire on metal T-post every 15 ft. and wood corner post. I learnt yrs. ago by turning every other T-post the opposite direction when a deer runs into the wire they only take out one post of insulators. Before this I've had upto 100 yds. of fence taken down.
Well the deer are at it again as I had no power in my fence. I spent the couple hours looking and repairing the broken insulators. At least this year I have 1/2 of the farm shutoff since I good rid of the bull that got out 6 weeks ago. But I will be transferring couple young heifers over to the part shut down. But not until I do the repairs because it's not working either.
It's a never ending battle with deer and electric fences to safely keep cattle in.

But since I'm a sportsman and deer hunter I put up with it. But I can see how a non-hunting farmer just wants the deer numbers lowered.
Hopefully this will put a different angle to everyone the deer problem the farmers with fences have to put up with.