Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First fletch job

teej89

NE PA
I stripping the factory wraps off the axis and put my bohning wraps on and got my first experience fletching. I'm using the helix tower and it went pretty smooth actually. Outta 6 arrows I did screw up on unfortunately but I just stripped off the wrap and started over. However there's definitely some excess glue along the vane. Any input how to get this extra glue off now? Or don't worry bout it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375242071.418877.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375242086.268776.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Bohning fletch-tite

I always found it hard to work with and switching to Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel. Much easier to control flow and now I rarely have excess.

Another tip is to buy some of the round cosmetic pads and have one at the ready soaked in acetone. Fold in half an then in half again and it'll give you a nice corner to work with. If you have excess, use that to wipe it off.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'll second the Ultra Control Gel. I do not wipe with acetone when using wraps. It usually discolors the wrap. Just have to be extra careful.

Usually with the Bohning Fletch Tite you can run your finger along the vane as it is in the jig to remove any extra. Once it's dried it's there for good though. Likely it won't affect anything but if you have one arrow that flies a little different you may want to keep track of it.

teej89

NE PA
I have denatured alcohol, will that work just as well.

Thanks guys! I was worried at first cuz I was having one hell of a time trying to get the factory crest off(took biut 15 minutes for one arrow haha) but then I ran the shafts under hot water and peeled the crests off while under water. Came off in no time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Get acetone. It's hotter and does a better job, plus it dries faster/cleaner. I just by finger nail polish at Dollar General. Read the label and get the one that is acetone. $2 well spent.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Figuring out how much glue is enough and how much is too much is just something that will come with experience. Once you determine how much is just enough, your issues with glue splooging out will go away. You really don't need all that much... Just a thin, even bead should suffice... "even" being the key word.

Loctite Ultra Control Gel is the best I've used. I've used fletchtite's formulations and personally I think they suck. The glue itself is ok, but the container it comes in is absolute shit.

Here's a tip: Once you've fletched your arrows and they're all removed from the jig and setting up, place a dot of glue on the front tip of the vane where it contacts the arrow shaft, and another at the back end of the vane. This will keep your vanes from peeling back should you fire an arrow all the way through a target.

00buck

arrows look good how much does a jig cost and how do you find out what helical you are shooting