Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climbing Tree Stand

Ricer2231

I need to get a climber tree stand for this property I am hunting this year and I am wanting to get you alls opinion on them. I haven't ever owned one so I need to get one that's super easy to use, comfortable, and good quality. Lightweight is a plus but not a must as I will only have about 400-500 yards to carry it in. Let me know what ya guys think.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have a viper sd by summit and love it. Want to try a sit and climb but the coin to do it is excessive

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have a loggy bayou mega transformer that I hunt with Don, very comfortable, easy to use, it is aluminum but alittle heavy but not real bad. I have done all day sits in before and stayed reasonably comfortable, the shooting rail can be removed also once you climb to the height you want to hunt from so it doesnt get in the road, if ya want to try it out you are more than welcome to it as I wont be using it the first part of the season

The viper SD or older SS is alot of bang for the buck(220$ shipped on ebay)..I had a footrest,pack system an hazmore sling seat on mine,but i packed mine around alot...I sold it only because the area I hunted wasn't climber friendly...If I was buying a climber that I planned on using A LOT,I would look into something that fold flat or such..Maybe a sit and Climb Lone wolf or hand climber(im to fat for the latter)..But for a part time use climber the summit is almost half the lone wolf price,and hard to go wrong.I may end up selling this Pro Series Lone wolf setup an getting something else.

Something I highly recommend for any climber are the cinch straps that lock the top an bottom of the climber to the tree and act as tethers while climbing..Some companies include these like LW but they use a plastic buckle....Summit does not include them but you can pick them up for 20$-ish...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would second the Summit. I have had one for four years. Initially I used it a lot. Then I went to Millennium with LW sticks. Since then I have learned these two properties better and added a couple hang on stands per year in key locations. If I know I need to hunt mobile I choose my mobile setup based on time and trees where I want to hunt. I personally am faster and quieter with my climber. Fluteman is the Millennium mobile master. While the Millenium is comfy as heck, I find my Summit climber quite comfy as well. It is not the silent technology model but I remedied some of the noise with tape and such. A bit bulky packing it in with bow, backpack, and such bit easily an all day stand. Very comfy. I have the bar in front of me. It makes me feel more secure but has its down sides. I am lanky. I am all arms and legs. I find myself keeping the upper and lower section closer together in order to have room to move and shoot over the bar. The downside here is when I stand up (to stretch or if deer are coming) it is a bit awkward. For me it is hard to do without making some commotion.

Were I to do it over I might try to find one without the bar in front. I am not spending the money though. It isn't a big enough hassle to go drop several hundred dollars again. Some years I use it once or twice. Other years half a dozen sits. If I hunted mainly with my climber I would be more apt to change to a different climber model.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not much help. Had an API Shooting Star back in the day and bought a Summit Goliath off of Milo 5-6 years ago before selling it to finance my Millennium/LW setup. I do know that if I were buying a climber, it would be Summit or LW and it would have to be a sit/climb model. Climbing without being able to sit down is for the birds...

Ricer2231

Holy shat, those sit and climbs are outrageous! I don't see one of those in the near future but I am looking at a couple Summit stands. One is a Summit Viper Elite and the other is a Summit also but don't remember the model.