Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mountain Monsters

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
So a new show on TV called 'Mountain Monsters' follows a group of outdoorsman from WV who hunt mythical monsters in surrounding states on Discovery Channel.

The first episode took place in Perry Co. Ohio and they were chasing the Grassman. They setup traps, found a supposed 'nest' in an old house and then went on a running chase in the woods after they 'found' one (was comical). They were shooting all around in the darkness, one claims to have hit the animal. They find 'tracks' and get a picture of one on trailcam.

Next episode is the 'Devil Dog' of West Virginia. I'm wondering when Grassman season actually is and maybe bag limits lmao

Extremely scripted, least it wasn't locals making an ass of themselves on TV :smiley_depressive:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like it'll go too the wayside like that deer hunting show up in the New England suburbs..... Both sound about the same and worthless.... Good comedy though I guess lol

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Yeah the guys hunting from patios and stuff. I tried Googling for the trailcam pic they showed but no dice. Most reality is reenacted or scripted reality on these shows. Only ones I can stand are those different Alaskan reality shows. Hard to script things up there

Worst was the guys recklessly shooting at the 'Grassman' in the dark with a woods full of buddies. I was waiting for one to catch crossfire

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like "Hollywood Hunter". Dumbest "hunting" show ever. Top Three dumbest anyway. There are some horrible ones out there.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Some day when I would meet some of you guys face-to-face ask my about a possible "grassman experience" my good friend and I had. I won't put it on a open forum.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
I wouldn't doubt a lot of people have had some strange encounters in the woods. But these guys thought they were in a run and gun chase with a for certain Grassman. Like those 'Finding Bigfoot' guys, every patch of woods their in they are certain a Squatch is there. lol And making calls to attract the squatch. lmao Sounds like stepping on a cat

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some day when I would meet some of you guys face-to-face ask my about a possible "grassman experience" my good friend and I had. I won't put it on a open forum.

Post it up Frank. I know I have heard and seen some stuff that has left me scratching my head in the woods. Imagine most of us have. I just can't believe the amount of money put into these shows and the amount of shows on the air which are so ridiculous and fake.

I want to be the first kid on my block to bag a "bigfoot". :smiley_cowboy: IF I were to ever see one, I'd call out "If that's a monkey suit, you'd better say so...otherwise you're gonna catch a bullet." Directly after that, I'd split his noggin' open.

If you notice all the bigfoot and alien aircraft crap, disappeared, right after everyone started carrying a cell phone with a camera. Basically, as soon as a conversation would start about a sighting, everyone else would say, "Why didn't you get a pic of it?" and that ended the b.s. conversation.

If these guys want so much attention and fame, then dig into the government and get the gas prices down. :smiley_asswhip: Then they'll be national heroes. Yep...that's going to happen, as much as catching bigfoot. :smiley_arrogant:

Bowhunter57

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I just can't believe the amount of money put into these shows and the amount of shows on the air which are so ridiculous and fake.

I think it's the exact opposite in terms of cost to produce & that's why there are so many shows out there. Think about it, how much would it cost a network for a high dollar production crew & celebrity host vs. a network challenging it's staff to "go out and find the next Swamp People or Duck Dynasty." The networks have a minimal investment to make for that first season's worth of shows. If they fail then it's just on to the next reality gimmick. If it succeeds then they're making money hand over fist. Probably another reason that we all have 400+ channels of crap that we pay for each month. The successful channels and shows are used to subsidize all the other loser channels and shows owned by the network.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hell they will make enough off T-shirt sales to cover the cost and then there's the can insulators sales.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That makes logical sense Curran. Your explanation sounds spot on now that I think about it. That very well could be it.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I saw the grassman once back in the day, he looked like this,

image.jpg

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Well then I've seen a lot of sightings at college. They're not as elusive as I thought lol

I get irked more that once respectable and educational channels like Discovery or Nat Geo are filled with these now. At least those Alaskan shows you know, when the cameraman leaves those men are still up there living hard. Can't script that

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
Unfortunately I know a few things about this show. As you probably already knew, it's total BS. I have never seen it because I don't have the channel it's on but have seen a couple clips on their site. The entire show is filmed in Pleasants County WV. They just say they're somewhere else for effect. I graduated high school with John "Trapper" Tice's son. He knows nothing about trapping. He gets his info from someone else who actually is a pretty good trapper. No one has ever heard of most of the "monsters" they are going after. lol