Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Traditional Hunting this year?

Tiny

Who is going to join me this year?. I am hoping that Doegirl will at least try and go out with her longbow this deer season and she is certainly going to try a hog from a blind next month. Aside from us... Who is in?.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
More more than likely going to fling a pointy stick or two this year.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm in, at some point I'm sure. Not gonna do it full time, but will tote a longbow or recurve on days I feel especially lazy. :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I always say I'm going to and then I envision a dream buck walking by at 30 yards. One of these days I'll do it, but I have to get over that fear first...

Diablo54

Outside
I always say I'm going to and then I envision a dream buck walking by at 30 yards. One of these days I'll do it, but I have to get over that fear first...

But the satisfaction on killing even a 100" with one is just as sweet. I'm not trying to be a 1%er I'm just saying! Lol

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've been shooting my longbow like crazy and I'm starting to get comfortable with it. Time will tell if I will be confident enough.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

thats the entire point of traditional archery. it challenges you to see how close you can get to your game(because you have too). it makes you be a better hunter(imho)..you have to accept that you suck a little bit and want to get better. Then there is the adrenaline rush of being that close you have to deal with...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
thats the entire point of traditional archery. it challenges you to see how close you can get to your game(because you have too). it makes you be a better hunter(imho)..you have to accept that you suck a little bit and want to get better. Then there is the adrenaline rush of being that close you have to deal with...

This is part of the reason I chose to get a longbow.

Jamie

Ohio
I'll probably go out a few times. :smile:

I'm very happy that I don't have to wrestle with myself about what sort of arrow launcher I need to use. I've been letting deer walk at 30 yards for over 30 years. it's not as hard as you think if you just don't care about killing another deer as much as HOW you kill another deer. this is about the time of year that I have to decide which bow is number one for the season. there are usually two or three in the running. not this year. back in April I finished an osage selfbow made from a mismatched pair of billets that have been laying in the shop for over 10 years. this unlikely pair turned into the finest shooting selfbow I've ever made, imo. "The Odd Couple" 61#@28 1/2". casts heavy arrows as well as any bamboo backed bow I've made. yeah, I'm gonna make some meat with this bow.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'll probably go out a few times. :smile:

I'm very happy that I don't have to wrestle with myself about what sort of arrow launcher I need to use. I've been letting deer walk at 30 yards for over 30 years. it's not as hard as you think if you just don't care about killing another deer as much as HOW you kill another deer. this is about the time of year that I have to decide which bow is number one for the season. there are usually two or three in the running. not this year. back in April I finished an osage selfbow made from a mismatched pair of billets that have been laying in the shop for over 10 years. this unlikely pair turned into the finest shooting selfbow I've ever made, imo. "The Odd Couple" 61#@28 1/2". casts heavy arrows as well as any bamboo backed bow I've made. yeah, I'm gonna make some meat with this bow.

Dang good to see put that squirrel pup in the kennel long enough to make one..

Jamie

Ohio
it weren't easy. tree rats in great peril come December. you gonna have to dust off your .22 and come with us sometime.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good enough nut. Not a preferred nut like a white oak, but not a hairy, sweaty nut either. Somewhere in the middle I'd say. :)

We need to set a date for your triumphant conquering of Highland Co squirrels.

Ill probably try to get a blacktail deer with my recurve here in Washington. I am do a few duck hunts with Trad equipment. I seem to shoot my bow better than my shotgun so i might have better results. lol If I make it home to Ohio in the Fall it I will be hunting with my compound because my time is limited.