Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Urban zones

rooster85

Lake County
Anybody hunt an urban zone? I unfortunately live in an urban environment so i was thinking it might be beneficial for me to try and locate some land to hunt closer to home so i don't have to drive to Dresden on my days off. Who has some input on urban zones? Thank you.

Yes I have

I normaly hunt in the city of Oregon , Ohio ( Lucas Co )

Deer can be easy or just as tough as anywhere else
I lucked into finding a strech of CPR land behind a housing tract

Best part , maybe the reason I get permission
I know one of the homeowners

That said
Find a area you can hunt .....err get permission for
It dosn't need to be real large
As the spot I normaly hunt is only 40 yds wide and 1/4 mile long
I can get the deer out of the feild behind the CPR strip

But the deer use the CPR strip to bed and get to feed areas
So I hunt the edge of the CPR strip

Out of a kids tree house , from inside a gardge or even out of the only tree big enough for a ladder stand

The deer get used to people
And learn to work and live around them

My best stand is opening a back window of a small gardge/shed
Only 150' behind a house
But the back of the gardge is 4' off the CPR strip

I have 1 nice shooting lane I keep open behind the window ( clipped limbs the other day again )

Also a feeder is realy helpfull up close to houses
The doe's have it down to the second when the feeder will be working

John

rooster85

Lake County
Thanks John. Finding somewhere to hunt will be slightly difficult but not impossible i believe, that will be my task for the next two months.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I hunt a lot of "urban" zones, weather that state calls them that or not they are truly urban. Houses everywhere, kids everywhere, traffic everywhere.... I've killed some dandy bucks in these zones. You just have to know how to hunt them and not burn them out. Unlike large tracts of land you will encounter more blown hunts than you care to deal with due to the volume of people in these areas (walking dogs at dusk, ect).

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Unlike large tracts of land you will encounter more blown hunts than you care to deal with due to the volume of people in these areas (walking dogs at dusk, ect).

That's probably the most frustrating part of hunting small tracts in urban areas. But that's just part of the deal.

rooster85

Lake County
I looked at few properties this week. All would work for two maybe three days a week. But, the potential for blowing out the deer will be high.n

I looked at few properties this week. All would work for two maybe three days a week. But, the potential for blowing out the deer will be high.n

Look for stand spots close to the down wind edge of the property
One of my best stands is only 15' in from the edge of the woods
But it has a natural opening between thick bedding cover and the paths heading to feed areas in front of it
I only hunt it in the evenings when the wind is correct

Not all deer will be in range as the opening is 50 yds long ( I bushhog it every few years )
But I have shots at a lot of choices

Even fun to watch the deer when they see or here other people around the houses

They just stad there and watch for a few min. and then slowly walk around the people

OH play the rain card
Deer seem to know most people will not be out in a slow rain
So they tend to move earlyer and closer the the houses

John

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Just like hunting in rural areas, each urban property will be different. Some places the deer will be even more sensitive to intrusion, especially if it's a small lot. Other places where the deer have constant contact with people, dogs, lawn mowers, etc will be more tolerant of intrusion. You still have to be smart about it though. Once deer know that you're trying to kill them, they have a way of wising up.