Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A bow hunters Creed....

buckstar25

T-county
Uhh...."Never say never"

29" 70
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374626804.439679.jpg

If you asked me a week ago, I'd have said I would not own a Mathews. Well a week later and one is sitting on my dining room table. Now to figure out what goodies to put on it!

buckstar25

T-county
My wish list and I am only a quarter of the way through the Lancaster Catalog.

AXT AX Driver Single Pin
-concerned about all of the adjustments, from the frame to the micro. Is this sight rigid and reliable?
-the yardage being on the side of the sight bracket, along with the lock and dial. Can I shoot, if needed, with it unlocked?

HHA Optimizer
Seen it, love it, built like a tank, easy adjustments but it is bulky.

QAD Ultrarest hdx
Had a trophy taker on my Hoyt, not a fan but it served its purpose. This is a recommendation of a friend.

Axion Pulse
Again recommended by the same friend but he doesn't like the click that it makes when he is shooting.

AXT stabilizer, along with a billion other choices.

Ultimately I realize it is personal preference and I will come to a decision. I like hearing what others are using and why. So if you want to chime in and give your 2 cents I'm all eyes.

Thanks for lookin!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am not a Mathews guy but the Creed is a good shooter. I like all of the items you chose except for the QAD. IMHO, there is nothing a LD or TT limb driven rest can't do better. More time on arrow, less to tune (read: easier), and no need for anything tied into the cable which can throw off timing and makes it harder to fix in the field. Hell, you can use your shoelace in a pinch on a LD style rest.

Another good sight to look at is the CBE TEK hunter series. They are proven.

buckstar25

T-county
Thanks for the input Been! I will check out the sight.

I am partial to single pin sights, I had a brush with target panic a few years ago, I have a hard time with blending of pins. I think it's all mental, but when I switched to my Viper I was a totally different shooter. Now I am hesitant on going back.

teej89

NE PA
Thanks for the input Been! I will check out the sight.

I am partial to single pin sights, I had a brush with target panic a few years ago, I have a hard time with blending of pins. I think it's all mental, but when I switched to my Viper I was a totally different shooter. Now I am hesitant on going back.

spot hogg hogg it. End of story :D it's unbreakable, aka idiot proof. Even the sight adjustment is idiot proof too. The multiple axis levling can get tricky but it's a great sight. Pins are tough as nails, won't have to worry bout dinging your sight off your ladder sticks and knocking off a pin. Which i've done lol.

buckstar25

T-county
Just read some reviews on the AXT driver and I'm crossing that one off the list. Made in China, American company that outsourced production to China.

Lookin like its narrowed down to HHA, Axcel, Spot Hogg, and Black Gold Ascent.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just read some reviews on the AXT driver and I'm crossing that one off the list. Made in China, American company that outsourced production to China.

Lookin like its narrowed down to HHA, Axcel, Spot Hogg, and Black Gold Ascent.

I have the Ascent on a 6" bar and love everything about it except trying to get everything square. Do not, I repeat, do not try to adjust the sight bubble if it is just a little off. It will not go back to square (it is moveable).

Thank goodness Milo has some cool shit in his shop and some patience.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll second the Spot Hogg and LD rest. I have a custom Hogg-It and a LD Pro-V on the Strother and love both. I looked at everything and choose the Spot Hogg for sleek design and build. The LD is a winner for simplicity and function. Two great pieces of equipment.

Good looking bow BTW. I know better than to shoot one. I'll sell the XT and Infinity to buy one!

buckstar25

T-county
Well I shot the Z7 that my buddy has, it's a sweet shooting bow but my Hoyt felt better. I was and still am a big fan of Hoyt bows but the back wall on the Creed is as solid as I have felt. I just can't wait to get it set up and see what happens!

Now that I have some solid info on sights, what rests are you guys shooting? I have a TT pronghorn ony Hoyt, it's a little small and took some getting used to, but I really liked it. One of the things that was pointed out to me about full containment rests and I thought was a fluke was malfunctioning. Is it common? I like the new TT rests but though the QAD looked simple and practical?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Limbdriver or TT Smackdown in limb driven configuration is all I will recommend.

- LD rests have no timing issue to worry about.
- LD's have no influence on cam timing like a cable driven rest does.
- LD's support the arrow longer resulting in more guidance for the arrow.
- No press needed to time/replace cord (cords are usually tied in) with the LD so it is field replaceable

The QAD starts in the up position. Don't know the advantage of that but it is it's claim to fame besides being what is offered in most shops. Saying all this the QAD can be very serviceable as I shot them for 6 years (two failures but they were the best out at the time) but LD style rests have more going for them.

buckstar25

T-county
Here are some pics. You can see where the water has been laying, that's turnips beside the mineral stump....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713305.960397.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713366.678923.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713405.463764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713418.640100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713433.810947.jpg

This is the small 8 with long brows from last season
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713446.412585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374713474.525771.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
Been, any issues with the cord getting in the way on limb driven rests? I am looking really hard at the Smackdown from Trophy Taker. The Vaportrail cord attaches to the top limb while the TT the bottom.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can't speak to that as I have not hauled it through the woods yet. However that was my biggest concern and everyone assured me that it had not been an issue for them. I rarely stalk with my bow, so it should really be of no concern, but something you do have to be aware of.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Been, any issues with the cord getting in the way on limb driven rests? I am looking really hard at the Smackdown from Trophy Taker. The Vaportrail cord attaches to the top limb while the TT the bottom.

It really shouldn't be any different than your bow string or cables. Best part about it is if it does get caught, you can just re-tie it and be on your way. I don't think it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

buckstar25

T-county
Well, it's ready to tune. Decided on the TT Smackdown Cable rest, Black Gold Ascent single pin, True Ball Pro diamond and a G5 1/4" peep.

I want to thank everyone for all the input, it helped me a ton and I used it all in deciding what to get. Beener, I don't know you but I am hoping I don't hear that advice in the back of my head if trouble arises with the rest!! When I saw the BG sight in person it was all over, love it! Hopin to get it tuned this weekend! Here are some pics. Thanks again guys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803033.956502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803068.522303.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803087.132098.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803103.857749.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803122.906464.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374803137.285120.jpg

teej89

NE PA
looks great! I actually debated that same sight! But i've never shot a single pin and didn't feel like transitioning just yet.