Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrow Recommendations

teej89

NE PA
I know I posted this before but here's the specs of my bow. I was between Easton and CE but with the price difference I think I'll go Easton. I was looking at the AXIS seems what most people recommend. What spine should I be using?

I'm shooting an Insanity CPX 28" draw 70#, not sure what arrow length I should shoot, what would you guys recommend and I'll be shooting 100gr broad heads.

Also I have a question about fletching arrows.....

When I get the new arrows I'm just going to be buying the shafts. I have already bought wraps and fletchings, now I'm looking at buying a jig. I was looking at http://www.bohning.com/store/bohning...ching-jig.html it is a 3 degree twist, what would suit me best? 2,3,4? And would you recommend another type of fletching jig?

Also any warnings/precautions that I should know of before I strap putting the wraps on the shafts and fletchings on? S

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do you want speed or knock down power?

I would suggest a 340 spined arrow to start with. As far as length goes, that comes back to the question above. You can shorten them some to gain speed or add an inch or two to gain weight. If it were me, I'd be shooting a 28" arrow because I like the arrow to at least clear the front of the shelf so I don't stick my hand.

Given that Bowtech scare me, I'd build a heavier arrow to absorb all the energy it is producing so that it doesn't go to the limbs. So I'd build a 28" Axis at roughly 410 grains finished, putting you in the 313fps range. A similar Flatline would weight 365 gains and put you a 328fps. That extra 15fps won't kill them any deader and you will never notice it in pin gap.

As for fletching jigs, I use a Bitz and fletch all my arrows with a straight fletch. I love my Bitz and consider it a lifetime investment. I tried Milo's Arizona E-Z Fletch and didn't like it. The Bitz gives me the precision I like in a format I find easy to use and plenty fast enough.

Wipe all your shafts clean with acetone and I suggest Loctite Super Glue Gel Control. Very easy to work with and plenty strong/durable enough for fletchings.

teej89

NE PA
Bow hunter,

Would you recommend the regular axis arrows at 9.5gpi or the full metal jacket at 11.3gpi. I agree with you on the heavier arrow because of the speed of the bow I want the force going to the arrow not the limbs like you said. And with my draw being 28, you're saying to cut the arrow to 28? I'm a bit confused.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I steered away from the FMJs based on the opinion of a few people I trust, so I wouldn't go that route. My draw is 30" and I usually shoot a 29" arrow. That puts the end of the shaft right about the front edge of the shelf. Draw length is taken from the front of the arrow shelf/riser, so with a rest that sits on the back edge of the shelf, you can shoot an arrow shorter than hour draw.

The reason I suggested a 28" arrow for you is to gain a little more weight, but you could shoot a shorter arrow if you wanted to depending on your rest.

teej89

NE PA
I have a QAD rest so it sits pretty far back. And alright I'm gonna go with the Easton axis 304 and get em cut to 28". Thanks for your help! A lot of my friends and my dad were pushing me towards Easton too so I think this'll be the right choice.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have a QAD on my Mathews with a 30" draw and shoot 29" arrows, so you'll be fine with 27-28" arrows. Cutting them to 28 gives you a little more weight and shouldn't cause any performance issues that you'll notice. I think you'll be happy with the Axis arrows. I've shot them for years and they are tough ass arrows that penetrate really well. Tip them with a nasty broadhead and they'll kill 'em dead!!!