Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for opinions on fire bowls

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wife bought one 7 years ago and it's on it's last leg and figured I'd pick her one up and wanted too know if any of you have any experience with the makes and their pluses or minuses?

Thanks for any help given....

Huckleberry Finn

Bowl or pit?

Dad put in nice buried steel ring (local metal shop) with 2 courses of brick around it. Very nice and burns clean every time.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bowl we use it on our patio.... Don't want too sink anything into the ground.... Taking it with us when we move and don't want too fill in a hole lol

At the old deer camp
I installed a nice fire pit

6 fire bricks on the bottom
Then 2 semi split rims stacked one on top of the other

On top of the 2 rims
I made a "Lid"
Lots of holes in the center to allow the smoke out
One side was hinged to allow extra wood to be added
Also we cooked on it

When you got it going it was great at putting out the heat
So much , one guy melted the sole of his boot , while he was relaxing with a beer after hunting

Also , so easy to put up and take down
When cool , I could put it up or take it down in 5 min

John

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds interesting John, any pics?

J, most of the portable pits I've seen aren't very big. I haven't seen them all but sorry I can't be any help on this matter. The one my wife bought without my knowledge was TOO shallow and when I go to put on the screened lid my inflamed wood logs were to high for it to go on properly. Needless to say the lid never was used. Hahaha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

J, most of the portable pits I've seen aren't very big. I haven't seen them all but sorry I can't be any help on this matter. The one my wife bought without my knowledge was TOO shallow and when I go to put on the screened lid my inflamed wood logs were to high for it to go on properly. Needless to say the lid never was used. Hahaha

Yeah Ric I was in the same boat, came home from a trip and it was sitting on the patio lol.... Got the job do e but like yours the screen was never used lol.... I was just. Utilizing as too what others if any had any experience with them....

No ,and sadly I don't hunt there anymore to take some

I quit 2 years back
I may hunt there again for the 2014 season

John