Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

sorting out the "flyers"

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
With the nicer weather we've had the last couple days i have been shooting a bit more. Yesterday I noticed That i was managing to tighten up my groups, but there always seemed to be that 1 or 2 arrows that just didn't drop in. Today, I tried a little test.

I numbered the arrows, 1 - 6 on the side of the cock vane that faces away from me when I'm putting it on the string. Next to the target, I left a piece of paper with the numbers 1 through 6, and a pen.
I was shooting from 30 yards. I would pick up an arrow without looking at the number, and shoot. This way I was shooting the arrows in a completely random order, and couldn't subconsciously adjust my aim to a certain arrow.
After shooting all six arrows i would go to the target and get my results. On the paper next to the number corresponding to the arrow, i would put an x by the number for the arrow that was furthest from the mark, a + next to the one that was closest to the mark and a G by the three that held the best group.

After 6 volleys, The number 6 arrow was closest to the mark, 5 out of 6 times. The number 4 arrow was furthest away 5 out of 6 and the number 2 and 5 arrows seemed to group nicely with the number 6. 1 and 3 were always right there as well but not as consistently as the others.

The number four arrow is now on the shelf to be refletched, and squared. The others are now in my quiver in order of 6, 2, 5, 3, and 1.

i still need to shoot more to get back into a consistent form, but at least i know if there is another flyer, its due to operator error and not an issue with the arrow itself.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A very good and simple way to discard of a bad arrow.

Nice post!

Don't be too quick to discard or write off an arrow as being "bad." First try rotating the nock on the string... or nocking to a different cock fletch. A simple twist could bring that bad arrow right back in line with the others. The spine of the arrow may need tweaked just a tad.