Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrows - What Say Ye?!

OK, I have plenty of time to hear your recommendations before I decide. I will likely buy shafts, have them cut, put wraps on and fletch myself. Will put Blazers on them. Here are my specs:

Mathews Creed
@ 60-62 lbs.
28" draw
Plan to use 100 gr. tip

My current arrow is a Victory V Force 350 cut at I believe 29" (can double check when I get home)

I have been looking at the Carbon Express (pushed hard by the local shop!) Maxima Red's and Easton arrows, just not sure which. I am open to any and all recommendations but hopefully can purchase locally to avoid having to pay a lot $ extra to have them cut and inserts installed.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm an Easton guy. IMO, you can't go wrong with the Axis, Excel, or Flatline shafts. I have shot the Axis shafts for years and they are tough, accurate arrows. The Excels offer a great arrow for a great price. And the Flatlines give you a tough arrow that flies true and fast.

My suggestion is to build a moderately heavy arrow with an Axis or Excel shaft.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I started out with Easton ST Epic 340s. Every year I say I'm gonna switch to a heavier arrow, but I never seem to break any of mine and just cant see buying something new when the ones I have are fine. Unfortunately, I dont think they make them any more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've heard the CE arrows are a bit inconsistent when it comes to actual spine, however I've never personally owned any myself. I'm an Easton guy, too. I shoot Flatlines for 3D and Excels for hunting. Gold Tip, Victory, Black Eagle, Muddy Bloodsport... all good choices.

I haven't had a chance to run your numbers... perhaps Milo has... but I'm thinking a .340 spine arrow cut at 28.5" or 29" will be pretty close to optimal. Possibly a .300 spine if you go 29"+. I don't know the Creed very well so I no nothing of the aggressiveness of its cams.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I think you have your answer on your shop and pushing higher markup prices..i would check out www.deercrossingarchery.com

New company by a familiar face in the arrow business..great prices..dozen
006 shafts are 45 bucks...cheapest is best when your running it through whitetails and into trees(or shooting 3d with brock)..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think you have your answer on your shop and pushing higher markup prices..i would check out www.deercrossingarchery.com

006 shafts are 45 bucks...cheapest is best when your running it through whitetails and into trees(or shooting 3d with brock)..

Never heard of those... But that's a great price point! I also like that they're 300's are only 8.8 gpi.

Never heard of them til now, are they a spin off from a company we know?? The only reason I am using the Victory arrows btw was because I won them several years back, otherwise I likely would still be shooting my Easton ACC's. Only have a few of them left and at the time the free arrows was a bonus. Now I am looking to upgrade to something new.

BTW, there is another archery shop I kind of forgot about just down the road from my work. They carry Easton and many other brands of arrows by their website. Even though I bought the QAD rest I am still going to ask them their opinion on rests and see what they say as well.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..

Thanks for the site recommendation man, I just got on there and ordered a dozen of em! Hell of a deal for a dozen arrows, pre knocked, fletched and with inserts.

Kind of leaning towards the Easton line and still looking at the Carbon Express as that's my buddy's recommendation. Still have a little while before I make my decision. Have plenty of Blazer vanes to throw on them and still need to design my wraps yet.