Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NAP Thunderhead Razor - Test

Tiny

Pictured above is the NAP Thunderhead Razor. First impression of the Razor is that is a cross between a Thunderhead and a Nightmare. It has a Thunderhead tip and ferrule with the Nightmare's angled blades held in the ferrule by small screws. The cutting diameter is a conservative 1 1/8".

I should let it be known that BT has handed over the reins to me for the broadhead tests. I now will conduct the tests, and BT is quality control ;D
My setup used for testing is 2012 Omen Pro set at 53lbs. I'm using Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streaks with blazer vanes. Total arrow weight 340grains, speed is 300fps, and 67 ft/lbs of KE.

Sharpness Test

First up was the test for blade sharpness out of the package.

Top picture is the rubber band grid that is used for this test.
This is the same design that Fred Bear showed BT back in the late seventies and the same design that he himself used to check blade sharpness when he was not in the field. Fred's belief was that arteries reacted just like rubber bands (which they do) and if a head could pass through this grid then it was satisfactory for hunting.

The bottom picture shows the bands cut after running the broadhead through the center.

The Razor cut all the rubber bands it came in contact with.
This is the best a three bladed head can do on the grid. It would take at least four blades to cut all rubber bands in the grid.
These heads are hunting sharp right out of the package.

Next up was the flight test

30 yard grouping with one arrow. A 3" group maximum is considered to be a passing grade for any broadhead that is tested here due to the fact that these shots are made without the use of a hooter shooter and people are imperfect.

3" is passing for any test done on this site with fixed broadheads.

I found no inconsistencies in flight with this head. It had the same point of impact as my field points. 'Nuff said.

Next up is the ferrule test

The top picture for this test is the board test head close up.
The blades showed no bending and the ferrule was in perfect condition.

If the ferrule cannot hold the blades or if the ferrule bends at all in this test it is a fail.

The Scapula Test

The scapula test is used to determine the quality of the blades and their ability to maintain a cutting edge after passing through bone. A loss of 33% of the cutting edge or less will receive a passing grade in these tests. Maintaining an edge means no roll over or erosion of the edge.

Shown below are the blades after going through the scapula.

I could find no chipping, bending, or waving of the blades. I shot the same head multiple times through the heavy ridge of the shoulder in an attempt to do something to the blades, but the Razor prevailed. Here is the Razor after being shot through a scapula some five times.

Overview

When NAP first came out with the Thunderhead Razor, there were complaints of blades breaking. NAP responded by redesigning the blades. And a fine design it is. Those blades are tough!
I love the ratio of the head. I wouldn't hesitate to use this head
in any but the lowest of KE setups. Hopefully, NAP will keep this Thunderhead around as long as the original.

More tests available at http://bowhunters.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2013

Special Thanks to Geauga Outdoors Supply of Middlefield, Ohio
for providing the Rhinehart Target that was used in this test. Their prompt service and great pricing helped to get this test up and also helped to keep the overall cost of testing to a minimum.

http://www.geaugabow.com

Impressive! I used to shoot the original Thunderheads, both 125's and 100's, and always liked how they performed. Even though this is a modification of the original style it still is a good reminder of an often forgotten broadhead these days.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use the Thunderhead .125's and liked what I saw with you test on the razors.... How do the razors compare too the Thunderheads?

teej89

NE PA
This is irrelevant but have you done any tests on slick tricks? If so could you send me the thread link. I'm debating going to these this year. I saw the thread for the magnums but what about the grizz tricks?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Makes me wonder how they compare in price to other heads. The original thunderheads were relatively inexpensive which was part of the draw to them. if these heads are affordable, they sound like a quality purchase.

Thanks again for a fine review.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I shot the original thunder heads. And then went on the rage band wagon and since lost two deer not shooting them this year you can bet your ass. And I was thinking the thunderheads or the slick tricks as much as you guys bragged them up. The lost deer was marginal shots quartering too me but not that steep the rage was disappointing to say the least after all the hype.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I guess I'm old school because I still shoot the original thunderheads. They have always worked for me and given many a good blood trail. Switched to rage for a year, almost lost a deer because of them and switched right back. I may have to try this new version.

Tiny

This is irrelevant but have you done any tests on slick tricks? If so could you send me the thread link. I'm debating going to these this year. I saw the thread for the magnums but what about the grizz tricks?

I posted a test on the tricks here a few weeks ago. No Griz Tricks. Have Razor tricks

Tiny

Makes me wonder how they compare in price to other heads. The original thunderheads were relatively inexpensive which was part of the draw to them. if these heads are affordable, they sound like a quality purchase.

Thanks again for a fine review.

The original thunderhead failed these tests

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The original thunderhead failed these tests

Really??? Dang, and here I've been shooting them for years lol... Good too know though..... Maybe after I go through all the Thunder head .125's I have I'll change over too the razors.... Thanks for doing these test Tiny..... I enjoy them a lot.....

Tiny

Really??? Dang, and here I've been shooting them for years lol... Good too know though..... Maybe after I go through all the Thunder head .125's I have I'll change over too the razors.... Thanks for doing these test Tiny..... I enjoy them a lot.....

No doubt the Originals are proven killers but the weak area is the blade retention. In the testing, the blades were knocked out of the ferrule on hard impacts. The flight was not perfect either, all though it wasn't bad.... Just not in the passing margin of error.

I am pretty sure anyone using the Thunderhead will be very happy with the Thunderhead Razor.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool, thanks for the heads up on the razors.... I've got about 10 of the origanal heads left (found a bunch mismarked at Walmart) and cleaned them out years ago.... But if I start running low I'm definetly getting some of the razors too try....

doegirl

Hi guys, I'm Doegirl, Tiny's wife. Been wanting to get on this site for some time. I took over the broadhead testing. Tiny is an HVAC guy and with this blistering heat we have had lately he's been putting in 70+ hour work weeks.
So broadhead testing has become my baby.
As soon as I can find some fresh scapulas, I'll wrap up testing on the next head, the QAD Exodus.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hi guys, I'm Doegirl, Tiny's wife. Been wanting to get on this site for some time. I took over the broadhead testing. Tiny is an HVAC guy and with this blistering heat we have had lately he's been putting in 70+ hour work weeks.
So broadhead testing has become my baby.
As soon as I can find some fresh scapulas, I'll wrap up testing on the next head, the QAD Exodus.

Welcome doegirl thanks for taking over. Hope you stick around and enjoy the site