Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally... when it matters....

Kaiser878

ohio
I was finally able to catch a 4+ pound fish in a tournament Tuesday night.

Here lately I have been having issues with loading fish when cranking with a graphite rod..... after losing 4 fish with a total estimated weight of 14 -15 lbs of lost fish...all in tournaments to boot...I decided I had enough......so bit the bullet and bought a glass crankbait rod.... as far as I'm concerned it was the best money I've spent all year.... first night out with it....4th cast .....and bam.....a 4'11..... I'll take it....
uploadfromtaptalk1374151511871.jpg

I ended up catching probably 6 or 7 fish with the new rod with no lost fish..... I'm a believer...... I think J will agree.... composite glass or glass rods are a necessity for cranking.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
heckuva fish! You lost me when you were talking about your glass rods. I am a $20 uglystik kinda guy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Zach that rod will pay for itself in no time lol.... Heckuva fish and from he sounds of it you guys are on them.... Enjoy it while it lasts.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Wayne. I figured they knew what I meant and could read between the lines on their own. Appreciate you making it plenty clear. lmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I was finally able to catch a 4+ pound fish in a tournament Tuesday night.

Here lately I have been having issues with loading fish when cranking with a graphite rod..... after losing 4 fish with a total estimated weight of 14 -15 lbs of lost fish...all in tournaments to boot...I decided I had enough......so bit the bullet and bought a glass crankbait rod.... as far as I'm concerned it was the best money I've spent all year.... first night out with it....4th cast .....and bam.....a 4'11..... I'll take it....
View attachment 14660

I ended up catching probably 6 or 7 fish with the new rod with no lost fish..... I'm a believer...... I think J will agree.... composite glass or glass rods are a necessity for cranking.....

Sorry if this is a dumb question but whats the big deal between the two types? I've fished as long as I've hunted. I get the use of different types of line and how stiff / or the action a pole is but how can a graphite pole over composite make or break boating fish?

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Fiber glass is more forgiving on the hook set... Doesn't pull it out of their mouths as quick allowing a better hook set.... Stiffer rods with slower tips rip the crank baits out of the mouth quicker and pulls the bait out of their mouths.... You'd think a crank bait with multiple treble hooks wouldn't have any issues with hooking up, but as Zach learned its not the case....

Composites can have the same effect as glass rods and are usually lighter in weight.... This is why I use them.... Fishing 8 hour tournaments you need too scale down the weight as much as possible....

Also, you do lose sensitivity with the glass rods vs the composites, but also glass rods aren't as fragile either because of it....

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Fiber glass is more forgiving on the hook set... Doesn't pull it out of their mouths as quick allowing a better hook set.... Stiffer rods with slower tips rip the crank baits out of the mouth quicker and pulls the bait out of their mouths.... You'd think a crank bait with multiple treble hooks wouldn't have any issues with hooking up, but as Zach learned its not the case....

Composites can have the same effect as glass rods and are usually lighter in weight.... This is why I use them.... Fishing 8 hour tournaments you need too scale down the weight as much as possible....

Also, you do lose sensitivity with the glass rods vs the composites, but also glass rods aren't as fragile either because of it....

Bingo....

Also as the fish is shaking its head (as LMB often do) the pole has a fast/soft tip that flexes with each head shake and doesnt allow any slack for that crank to pop out... I still dont understand how a fish can dislodge a mouthfull of treble hooks.....but they can and man is it frustrating.....

I have lost fish before on cranks....But the last few have really burnt a hole in my pocket..... Especially the 5lber 2 weeks ago.... and Jay can attest....When you lose a fish that alone could make you $120 bucks........ It gets real irritating..... Plus, no one likes to lose fish... Fishing clean is the name of the game...

Like i said, it was one of the best fishing investments I have made to date!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Humm.I learnd something today.Thanks guys.

So if I go to a composite pole I'll boat more fish... Riverdude and Redcloud do not want me to know that tip...

Kaiser878

ohio
The composite fiberglass rods are not good for all fishing though. For example you don't flip or Carolina rig or Texas rig with glass poles..... they are meant to give and flex......... u could probably fish a spinner bait on one....or a swim bait..... its hard to explain until u grab ahold of one.....them u will know what I mean

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's a good one man, and great for a tourney! You better enjoy all that fishing time now, cause when that baby comes, there won't be time for it! lol