Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Slow Summer

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
It's been a slow summer for me so far finding any decent bucks running deer cameras.

Out in Portage County where I have a few cams, I don't even have a single mature buck yet. The EHD hit the area hard last year and we may not even hunt there much if the cameras don't show much before the season starts.

Down south I changed some cards last weekend and have a lot of small bucks, some good potential for next year, like Tiny Ten:

EK000757_zps9f048647.jpg

We did find one interesting buck:

EK000689_zps9f5d1046.jpg

He's one of the biggest seven points I've caught on cam. It's strange how his left side only has three points. Any guesses on age?

Anyone else having a slow camera season so far?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks like he could be a 3 year old to me.

My season is beyond SLOW with the cams. I had some stellar summers in the past and think I used up all my good ju-ju. Considering I have never patterned and killed a deer with a cam, I don't let it bother me TOO much. The biggest thing I hate about it is that I love pictures of big velvet bucks and when they aren't rolling in, I get a little bummed...

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
real slow for me too the only good deer i got so far is on my 2 acres at my house, 3000 acres to hunt and the only spot producing a good deer is out my back door . i know they will show up sooner or later at my other spots but its slow.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jd has been telling me its real slow for him too the past month. I just put two cams out Sunday. But looking over my pic numbers the peak of the pics are the last two weeks in July through the end of August.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Definitely slow for us TOO! Ron and I pulled a card from a mineral lick of ours after a good month or so and had 2027 pics. Mostly all pics were does,fawns,spikes and small young bucks. Biggest buck on that pull was a 2.5 old buck and just had a couple pics of him.
It's still real early and like Joe said, the better days are just on the horizon.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I hope you guys are right. I know it doesn't count for anything now, but it would be nice to have bulletin board material to daydream about. I also have never killed one of the big bucks I have had on camera in past years.

The first one has a lot of potential and the second is a pretty nice looking buck Boone!! Since I cannot get back down to check cameras for a few more weeks I have to rely on the rest of ya's to keep me going!! Sure has been slow is all I can say!! LOL :smiley_clap:

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Just pulled two cards today.... def nothing worth showing. Biggest buck is about 80"! Thank god I got a dog to duck hunt with now if this keeps up lol

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I have a couple cameras that I haven't got one buck pic of any kind. One spot is new a few weeks ago. the other spot Ive had a camera for years. The action will pick up in these spots sometime in October. As it has in the past. Some areas just don't see bucks this time of year. Over all i'm not real impressed with the bucks I have pics of compaired to years passed. But I know it wont matter when the rut comes around. Anything can happen then.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here is the kind of summer I am having. Went to the farm to spray plots last night and stopped to check a cam I had out over 150 pounds of corn. Big tracks in the mud where the corn was, but a camera that went dead right after I was there. I forgot to check the batteries. I can't catch a break...

Here is the kind of summer I am having. Went to the farm to spray plots last night and stopped to check a cam I had out over 150 pounds of corn. Big tracks in the mud where the corn was, but a camera that went dead right after I was there. I forgot to check the batteries. I can't catch a break...

:smiley_armscrossed: Very disappointed in you Mister!! :smiley_armscrossed:

Now what am I supposed to do today?!?!

rooster85

Lake County
I put a couple of cameras out but apparently one of the cards wasn't loaded all the way, only had a few photos from when I was setting it up. The other camera had a bad angle, my fault, and just had shots of a family of raccoons and some squirrels. Better luck next week.