Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

S&W J frame

Huckleberry Finn

I think I've finally made a choice on a carry piece...but trying to figure out which I specifically want?

Hammer - I feel most comfortable with this but know it's not practical snag wise.

Shrouded Hammer - Not too keen on this as I feel that letting down from double to single would be risky...

Internal - Probably where I am leaning the most now...

Thoughts?

I had a Shrouded Hammer J fram for a while
I found it easy and safe to drop the hammer if I wanted to

The Internal hammer guns are DA only
That is my only complaint

If you plan this as a carry pistol
A alloy frame or Scandium (sp?) are both lighter

If I was going to get one again
I would get a 357 mag with a Scandium (sp?) frame

No I wouldn't shoot 357 mag ammo
As I shot 1 round of 357 out of one and it hurt

But resale price is better and in a pinch
I could shoot 357 mag ammo

Another thing
Get a set of grips that feel good in your hand
Nothing worse that a big hand and small grips

John

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
For carry only I am an internal hammer fan. For dual use I would go full hammer. The J frame is a great piece and John surely is right about the grips and getting it in .357mag. I carried a J frame for a while and liked it well enough.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I bought Jessica a S W J frame airweight a few months back. I think I have carried my .45 auto twice since then and only because I left her gun with her. The damn thing is easy to conceal, light, and is very accurate even at 15 yards. No problem hitting 12 inch steel gongs at 15. I didn't like the ruger LCR. Just felt cheap and toyish. Her smith is a much better piece IMO. The trigger is very good for a SA and is very fluid through the pull. Not gritty or creepy. Ill likely buy another for myself after she gets her ccw. As for the hammer I see no problem with her hammer less model. Her dad has one with a concealed hammer. Nice on the range for precision shooting but for a ccw piece the benefit of not having one outweighs the lack of accuracy at the range. And like I said the trigger is good and the accuracy isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
I went internal. Almost waited for a shrouded hammer model, glad i didnt, as those are a pain in the ass to 'cock', and i would never use it. I never considered going with regular hammer due to snagging/etc.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Have you gotten in any crud in that little groove where hammerless is, Joe?

It's an internal hammer so it's solid on the backstrap. Her dad as both the hammer model and the shrouded hammer. I shot the shrouded hammer one a couple times and I didn't notice anything funky about it like grit. I would highly recommend going with the internal hammer. Not only does it remove one more variable, It also has a lower profile backstrap

Huckleberry Finn

It's an internal hammer so it's solid on the backstrap. Her dad as both the hammer model and the shrouded hammer. I shot the shrouded hammer one a couple times and I didn't notice anything funky about it like grit. I would highly recommend going with the internal hammer. Not only does it remove one more variable, It also has a lower profile backstrap

I couldn't tell if you were talking about the shrouded or not...so I'd say the general consensus is internal hammer, which is where I was leaning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have you gotten in any crud in that little groove where hammerless is, Joe?

Huck- I often carry the hammerless one. Model 642. You know my work conditions. I have had it plenty dirty. That is the great thing about the hammerless revolver: it doesn't matter. The only downside I see is the 12 mile long trigger pull. Like Joe said, I don't think this matters for carry purposes. Even in target shooting it is surprisingly accurate.

If you go this route I would recommend either a crossbreed holster for IWB carry or Galco Jakslide for OWB.