Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Poults

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I finally got some trail cams out last week. Yesterday after I check em, I had tons of pictures of hens, but with no poults behind them. I can't imagine the poults are already off on their own now, or maybe still in the nest while mom gets food? What do you guys think?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I finally got some trail cams out last week. Yesterday after I check em, I had tons of pictures of hens, but with no poults behind them. I can't imagine the poults are already off on their own now, or maybe still in the nest while mom gets food? What do you guys think?

hmm, thats odd last week on my farm I damn near ran over 15 of them with their momma on the ranger. Maybe camera just missed them buddy.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have seen no poults here in SW Ohio. The spring was so wet I fear not many hens had a hatch. I've seen a bunch of hens but no poults.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen quite a few poults in Sandusky County. I think plenty hatched out, as most of the rain occurred well after most birds hatched... at least up here anyway.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
hmm, thats odd last week on my farm I damn near ran over 15 of them with their momma on the ranger. Maybe camera just missed them buddy.
I was hoping of the same at 1st, so I zoomed and scrolled all around on all the pics. And nothing. I agree Jesse, I'm fearing of the worst for the future.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
My neighbor said he saw a couple hens with several little ones tagging along on the property I hunt, so that leaves me with more hope.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Finally I seen some poults tonight. Had 5 hens cross the front yard at 8:00PM one had 4 poults about the size of pheasants a the other hen had 4 poults about the size of mourning doves. Was getting worried we had a bad hatch here with all the wet weather.
Now I won't feel so bad if I take one during our new Fall Season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was on the quad hanging PVT Prop signs and swapping some camera cards yesterday. Driving along a lane which hadn't been mowed the last 2 years. I almost pooped myself when a turkey jumped up in front of me and took off flying. He was less than a quad length in front of me. Probably half a length of my Kodiak 450. Haven't seen any poults but there is at least one turkey out there. That is if he didn't have a heart attack after he roosted in the tree. I didn't mean to scream out "holy shit" but I did. Lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen 3 hens cross a small road the other day with 15 poults in tow. They ranged from pheasant size down to quail size. Pretty funny to see them all mingled together and different ages. The smaller one flew down to the path from the treeline while the older ones walked down the little hill.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/TurkeySurvey/

Please report them fellows, helps keep a statistic on turkey hatch. I have only seen 3 hens this summer, and none had poults. Most of our rain came after the peak nesting season, but I fear many young chicks could have fallen to hypothemia due to wet weather. Doesn't take much.

I have an idea Seth. Tell the DNR to go screw themselves. They don't give two shits what the hunters think. We pay them to do their jobs. They take money from the farm bureau and insurance companies to pad their pockets and break one off in the hunters. They can go count all the poults, dead squirrels, moths, frogs, and cocksuckers they want. I won't do their job for them when they won't listen to the hunters anyway.

I won't change the above paragraph but will edit and add these lines. This is not a personal attack on you Seth. I just have zero desire to give them input on wildlife when they will do nothing but twist the results or simply ignore them. I am tired of reading what they have to say. They act as if we are idiots and have no clue. Makes it very difficult to want to assist them. That said, I know some individuals in the DNR. There are individuals out there doing their jobs who I have a lot of respect for and appreciate their hard work and boots on the ground. When it comes to numbers and helping the higher ups. . . .they are just going to twist the results into a mangled mess of crap. Not interested in helping their cause. Sorry bud.

Last edited:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I'm with you Hicks. The DOW wont be concerned one way or another, I know that for sure. I just mainly like it for personal reference because I love turkeys and its a good gauge for what the hunting will be like in two years.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have an idea Seth. Tell the DNR to go screw themselves. They don't give two shits what the hunters think. We pay them to do their jobs. They take money from the farm bureau and insurance companies to pad their pockets and break one off in the hunters. They can go count all the poults, dead squirrels, moths, frogs, and cocksuckers they want. I won't do their job for them when they won't listen to the hunters anyway.

I won't change the above paragraph but will edit and add these lines. This is not a personal attack on you Seth. I just have zero desire to give them input on wildlife when they will do nothing but twist the results or simply ignore them. I am tired of reading what they have to say. They act as if we are idiots and have no clue. Makes it very difficult to want to assist them. That said, I know some individuals in the DNR. There are individuals out there doing their jobs who I have a lot of respect for and appreciate their hard work and boots on the ground. When it comes to numbers and helping the higher ups. . . .they are just going to twist the results into a mangled mess of crap. Not interested in helping their cause. Sorry bud.

Come on now man. It ain't about us. If cars start hitting those turkeys and costing insurance companies money they'll need those numbers to decimate their population. Oh wait. They didn't need an accurate deer number to do that anyway. Lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for not taking it wrong Seth. I re-read my first paragraph and thought I had better clarify a bit. Sounded a bit aggressive towards you. Wasn't the intention. lol