Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thanks Milo...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Nuttin too it curran..wait till you hit some bone with it and see what it does... got a couple in the shop now...tis the season:D

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Based on the calculations I did, it's packing around 80.96 ft lbs of KE. It should layeth the smacketh downeth.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That old milo is the Charlie Daniels of compound bow tuning. I bet ole Kevin strother himself couldn't tune the damn bow as well as milo does. I shot mine the other night for the first time since last November. At the release of the first arrow I just smiled like holey crap. Quiet, dead in the hand, and a laser beam.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That old milo is the Charlie Daniels of compound bow tuning. I bet ole Kevin strother himself couldn't tune the damn bow as well as milo does. I shot mine the other night for the first time since last November. At the release of the first arrow I just smiled like holey crap. Quiet, dead in the hand, and a laser beam.

HAHA! Ain't that the truth. I shot one of my new Axis arrows for the first time last night. 490 grains going what I guess is 290+ and it sounds like I walked up to the target and hit it with a baseball bat. I have no doubts I can literally knock a deer off its feet with this thing. I smile every time the arrow hits the target and I have to wait 5 minutes for it to stop swinging!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Milo, do you tune everything by shooting the bow yourself or do you have the bow owner there to do it as you make the adjustments?

Milo can certainly follow up on this, but I do know he tunes bows without the owner being there as he did mine without me present. I've seen and heard of people claiming it is impossible to tune another person's bow, especially if they are not there to take part in the process. People who think that are completely ignorant to the tuning process. My bow shoots lasers and I never touched it outside of installing the peep. The only reason a person needs to be present to tune a bow is to set peep height and verify draw length. Outside of that, tuning has nothing to do with the person operating the bow. Bows are tuned to specs that do not take in to account the person shooting the bow (other than draw length), hence the reason I did not need to be present for Milo to tune my bow. Further more, a bow that has the string replaced can be tuned properly without the person every being present as measurements for the peep can be taken from the old string. Look up Crackers on AT (Carters Archery) and see how long it takes to get your bow tuned by him. He may be one of the best in the country and he does it without having the bow owner present far more often than having them there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After reading what I posted, I want to add this. A well tuned bow is only as good as the shooter. You can tune a bow 100% to spec, but that does not mean it will shoot well in the hands of someone who can't shoot for shit. On the flip side of the coin, someone will consistent form (good or bad) can shoot a bow well that is not in tune. Shooting well is all about consistency and having a well tuned bow is only part of that equation.

Well I guess it's time I get with the program then as I always thought most tuning should be done by the shooter and not necessarily by the bow shop people. Adjustments yes but the actual shooting part I was always under the assumption the bow owner should be the one doing it. For me over the years any tuning I had done that was how it went, I would shoot and they would adjust. Guess I never really thought about it much but I have noticed threads like this one where the bow is tuned without the shooter but never gave it much thought until now. I guess the key would be to have it done by a person who really does know what they are doing though. That's where recommending people such a Milo or Carters Archery can be so beneficial. Learn something new every day and today I was schooled!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Certainly having a bow tuned by a knowledgeable bow tech is very important. Unfortunately, there are a ton of people working in the industry that have no idea how to properly tune a bow. You can tune one 95% to perfection without having the bow owner touch it. However having them there helps ensure that the last 5% gets done according to them and their mechanics. A person can have bad/wrong form, shoot an improperly tuned bow and yet they can still consistently hit the bullseye. How is that? Consistency is the answer. If you do the same thing 100% of the time, even if it is the wrong thing, then you will achieve consistent results that will then allow you to adjust your pins to the point of being a proficient archer. Never mind your form is shit and you bow is whopper-jawed.

Milo got my bow 95% right without me ever touching. What needed done was the peep installation and a draw mod swap, both things that cannot be done without me being there. The draw mod switch was done because I am used to a spongy back wall and the Strother Infinity has a rock solid back wall. After shooting it a few times, I need about an inch more draw and that is something Milo can't tell without me there to shoot it. Same for installing the peep. He can get it close (we are almost identical in draw length and anchor position) but he can't get it 100% right without me shooting it. So yes, it is important to be a part of the tuning process, but not 100% necessary. I would always recommend having your bow tuned by a true expert while you are present. But someone with Milo's knowledge and expertise can damn near fine tune a bow without you ever laying a hand on it.