Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where do you purchase rifle barrels?

I found a couple of companies that I'll have to call and ask questions, but their pricing seems to be good. All I'm after is a .25 caliber Savage pre-fit barrel, so that I can uninstall my sporter barrel and install the varmint barrel and get shooting.

McGowen and Pac-Nor are the ones that I'm referring to, for my barrel swap. Anyone have any experience with either of these companies?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I know this is a older post, but talk too Fred Moreover over at sharpshooters supply. He can lead you in the right direction, and he is local. He maybe able too do it himself. Just seen the post today been busy with wheat harvest and baling.

yotehunter said:
I know this is a older post, but talk too Fred Moreover over at sharpshooters supply.
yotehunter,
Thanks and I've been over to talk with Fred a couple of times. What he wants for a Brux barrel is more than I want to spend. I may contact a few other barrel manufacturers and do a little price shopping for a barrel. Then I may contact Fred and see what he charges to install a barrel...or do it myself. After looking at the tools needed to change a barrel, I'd only have about $90 invested...and then there's the addiction of doing it myself to consider. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I understand completely. Fred is is damn good thought he could help you out. He is the one that made the timney trigger for savage. Another fella to check with is a guy by the name of Dick Hefner, not sure of his number but he lives on east own between 81 and 309. Just some close people who could maybe help ya out. I have always had good service with midway also.

yotehunter said:
Another fella to check with is a guy by the name of Dick Hefner, not sure of his number but he lives on eastown between 81 and 309. Just some close people who could maybe help ya out.
yotehunter,
Sounds like you and I have been running in the same circle of friends. I met Dick Hefner back in the late-90s, as he was good friends with Scott Black, that I worked with, until he passed away. I may ask Dick if he's interested in the job, while I watch or if he'll allow me to use his tools, vice, etc. Either way, Dick has a lot of experience with wildcat rifles and building them, so it would be an education session for me.

Bowhunter57

yotehunter

spencerville oh
10 4 I met Dick through coyote hunting with the Stewart and Posting bunch years back, Dick is damn good. Tell him Jake that coyote hunts with Jay Moore recommended him. He is a great guy that is full of knowledge.