Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn Prices

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had to head up to the local grain bin and have my trailer weighed yesterday for the BMV so I asked about corn lol.

I found out they was selling it for $7 and some change for 50lbs.

Looks like a good year for the farmers.

What's it going for in your neck of the woods ?

rrr

Dats why you get by da grain bin full.

Too early or do you want to put some out this week?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Heard a news report that bulk commodity pricing is going way up and gonna stay up....so you'll be payin more at the feedmill and that will eventually pull thru in the price of meat and other corn-related pricing. Buckle up.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was shocked as hell. I figured with a banner year the price would drop a bit by now but as Dan said the price went way up and is just hangin there for some reason.

Cap't,

I won't put any out until after gun season just because the property gets hammered by everybody during that time. No sense in giving the other guys a better week long hunt then they deserve lol. I have worked my ass off this year and I'm not about to make it any easier for the one weekers that show up and plop down in the bedding areas because they don't know any better.

Last edited:

rrr

TOO be honest, hate to screw you guys but it should mean more work down the road if I were to build bins again. The more money the farmers have the better, but they are a tight wadded group.

Never figured out how farmers are 'poor', drive 50k pickup trucks, drive 250k combines...and still get a govt subsidy? Maybe the wise sage Danmann can answer that for me. [All the farmers I know that fit that bill wish the govt got rid of the Dept of Agriculture!]

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
TOO be honest, hate to screw you guys but it should mean more work down the road if I were to build bins again. The more money the farmers have the better, but they are a tight wadded group.

Never figured out how farmers are 'poor', drive 50k pickup trucks, drive 250k combines...and still get a govt subsidy? Maybe the wise sage Danmann can answer that for me. [All the farmers I know that fit that bill wish the govt got rid of the Dept of Agriculture!]

Cash poor, asset rich. That's what my dad always said and I know it to be mostly true from experience.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

It mostly depends on the farmer. My Uncle is one of the largest farmers around (tills like 6k acres) and he is well off. It has been the "Golden Time" for farming the last decade. Old farmers know that if you earn it you save it because the winds of change do come blowing. Most small farmers <1000 acres have a hard go of it because of capital investment.

We have different farms in our area Ernie than a lot of Ohio. We are a rich agriculture area especially grain.

Without a huge influx of cash someone wanting to get into farming and make it would need a lot of luck to make it even a few years.

Beentown

badger

*Supporting Member*
Last time I bought some it was $5 for 50# from a guy in Ashtabula. That was a few months back. Been buying from him a long time now. A few years back he was selling 100# sacks for $7.50 to us. He was charging others a little more as we were buying a lot. Was usually three trucks and a trailer. He won't do the heavy bags anymore which doesn't hurt my feelings, but I miss those prices.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
World usage of grains has been increasing. China and India buy a LOT of grain from us. Last year the US corn crop was huge, but not good quality. This year the crop is light so there are some worries of supply. It is compounded by the trend for outside investors to invest in commodities grains, metals etc. At first glance it looks like a windfall for farmers but seed, fertilizer, rent and machinery have all skyrocketed too.