Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Delaware state park is drowned.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The missus and I were out for a drive this evening and decided to go poke around the delaware state park and wildlife area.

We turned off of st. rt. 23 onto rt. 229 and immediately came to a road closed sign. the water on the north end of the lake was still at least 4 feet deep on the road.

We turned south on wieser road and got stopped again just before the start of the public hunting area. Again, the water was still at least 3 - 4 feet deep. Couldnt even get close to the lake.

We got back onto 23 headed south and turned into the entrance for the state park and camground. We couldn't go any more than 100 yards, the road was again submerged.

we did go up to the dam and looked out to the lake, the normal shoreline is completely submerged.

I couldn't even get around to the wildlife area on the east side of the lake.

All the flooded area is public hunting. Cant help but wonder if this will have any effect come fall. on our way back up 23, I was amazed at the number of deer in the bean fields by the campground. I guess their normal habitat is drowned out and they have been forced up into the higher ground .

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Nah, those deer are always in those fields. DSP always floods out especially on the 23 side. Rarely is the range open because it is flooded more than clear in the spring. One of the best kept secrets for public deer hunting in Central Ohio, IMHO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
One of the best kept secrets for public deer hunting in Central Ohio, IMHO.

I poked around there a little last fall, and i plan to hunt it a little harder this season. maybe we could put something together for a late season hunt? i know part of the campground is open year round for hunters.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
The campground gets hunted pretty hard. Everybody thinks it'll be a walk in the park. :smiley_crocodile: I'd even go as far to say that the campground area gets hunted harder than most parts of the wildlife area.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Nah, those deer are always in those fields. DSP always floods out especially on the 23 side. Rarely is the range open because it is flooded more than clear in the spring. One of the best kept secrets for public deer hunting in Central Ohio, IMHO.

i couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of the most over-rated public land areas to hunt in the entire state. It was really great in the 90's, but the last two years it has totally sucked. The hunting pressure there is off the charts!

Guys have gun hunted it in the last couple years. The park rangers aren't around that time of year. It pissed me off. I told a GW about it at the open house, and he basically blew me off like he couldn't give a shit.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I told a GW about it at the open house, and he basically blew me off like he couldn't give a shit.

I've heard the same thing from other guys. I dont think they do care. They need to keep the numbers down there as well. The bow only thing only goes so far.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
i couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of the most over-rated public land areas to hunt in the entire state. It was really great in the 90's, but the last two years it has totally sucked. The hunting pressure there is off the charts!

Guys have gun hunted it in the last couple years. The park rangers aren't around that time of year. It pissed me off. I told a GW about it at the open house, and he basically blew me off like he couldn't give a shit.

Hmm, every time I went I saw deer within distance (5/5 outings all in different places). I was helping someone else out (2011 season) when I was there. It was all early season though. Any public land around here is going to be a little worse for wear right before Halloween and after. Gotta get it done early.

Do I think it is a "Monster Buck" area? No. A lot of deer though. I heard more people were using the "bow only" area more last year.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
When I've hunted it for pheasants and/or squirrels/rabbits I've almost always seen a couple of deer. I've never hunted it for deer though.