Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plotting Question/suggestion

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am doing two test plots this year. This is about 2 acres of plots.

I am going to plant three things in these plots.

1. soybean
2. winter peas
3. Turnips.

My question is do you think it would be better to plant them in rows. Ex. Beans, Peas, Turnips
or
Do you think its better to mix the peas/beans and then plant the turnips separate?
or
Just mix all three together, and spread it.

I worry about the beans, shadow out the turnips. That is one of my concerns.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'd mix it. But I'd also call Milo and JB before I did it. So whatever they say, is what I'd do. lmao

Jesse, Im happy you said that cause that was the original plan, but with everything in my life I begin to think and think and think until I dont what I want to do, except buy more land to try both.hahahaha

Anymore tips are appreciated.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You are very close on beans being effective..i would not mix beans and peas ..turnips need their own space. The ones we plant get as big as softballs. Peas are pretty good but you dont want them planted too early..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Milo on the beans. I'd hold on to that seed for spring. Mix some oats with the peas and do the turnips separate like Milo said. That'd make a pretty sweet set up.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sept. 1st about right planting time for the winter beans? I got 1/2 ac. to put out my self in SW Ohio.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Sept. 1st about right planting time for the winter beans? I got 1/2 ac. to put out my self in SW Ohio.

Yes september is a good date to get winter peas out . Weeds are done and the peas can take 3 or 4 good frosts before it gets hit...its a tough plant for sure.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo hit the nail on the head.

If you wanna plant peas wait until the first week of September. Brassicas like turnips will still do well if planted then, but they'll do even better if planted in late July or August. Mix in oats and/or winter rye with your peas. I've found that the oats and rye are ideal (most palatable) height when bow season opens if planted during that first week of September... with good weather, of course.

If you want to plant beans, look into the Eagle Seeds "Manager's Mix" forage soybeans. I've got four acres of them growing right now and they look phenomenal. It's a mixture of four types of beans... standard and climbing varieties, all which are genetically-engineered to produce a higher percentage of leaf tonnage than bean tonnage. Best of all, they're roundup ready. Plant them mid-May to mid-June for best results.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am a bit surprised by the beans. I have always been told, if you cant grow enough acreage of beans, that planting them in July is good because they are super attractive right when the season starts.

The peas you all are suggesting should not go in until late August?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am a bit surprised by the beans. I have always been told, if you cant grow enough acreage of beans, that planting them in July is good because they are super attractive right when the season starts.

There are only two times when deer dont hit beans...1) when there arent any and 2) at yellow leaf drop and acorns are on the ground...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
There are only two times when deer dont hit beans...1) when there arent any and 2) at yellow leaf drop and acorns are on the ground...

Right so by planting them later, should that keep them green into hunting season? If I planted them in May, they would be brown by hunting season which is when they quit eating them, untill late winter.

I am just a bit confused I think. Thank you for the help!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Right so by planting them later, should that keep them green into hunting season? If I planted them in May, they would be brown by hunting season which is when they quit eating them, untill late winter.

I am just a bit confused I think. Thank you for the help!

Not really. You run out of daylight and you dont get the tonnage you need to support them. Also they will not necessarily be green into hunting season as deer prefer acorns and the plant shuts down essentially.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Not really. You run out of daylight and you dont get the tonnage you need to support them. Also they will not necessarily be green into hunting season as deer prefer acorns and the plant shuts down essentially.

O i see that makes sense. Thanks for all the help again!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

If you don't have enough acreage, the deer WILL wipe them out in no time flat... no matter what month they're planted.