Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Throw and Gro ??

toke2

I hunt some public land in central Ohio - I have a big area that nobody else hunts ( really ) because it's surrounded by private property ( some of which my family owns - very small amount) So this area is almost like hunting private land cuz there is no real pressure. I bought some throw and grow and wanted to see if anyone has had any luck - or any tips. Gonna plant it deep in the woods and a little concerned about a lack of sunlight. The stuff says it will grow anywhere... with minimal ground prep. Any suggestions?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
what do you mean by a little sun?

you would be better off with some clover, and bag of plot spike oats from TSC. If I remember right throw and grow is mostly rye grass, stuff will grow, not attractive. Often confused with rye grain not the same thing.

toke2

Little sun...but enough that there are areas of fairly plush green ground cover - which I will have to remove by raking. The bag has a list of what's in it. Rye and clover top the list. I will have to look into the spike Oats - why do you recommend those - more attractive to the deer or grow better in the woods? Thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've planted it several times before with varying results. I will say that the more effort you put in to removing surface debris, the better it will grow. The deer don't really eat it real hard until after it gets cold and other food sources start running out.

toke2

Thanks guys.... I read that it should be planted in in late August.... early enough to get started, but not so early that it will have to deal with harsh growing temps. As for them waiting to eat it until after the other sources are gone - that's exactly why I was thinking of doing it. Something to encourage a "hot spot" later in the season ( post rut).... I will throw a trail cam on it and report my results! Any other tips welcome.....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I've planted it several times before with varying results. I will say that the more effort you put in to removing surface debris, the better it will grow. The deer don't really eat it real hard until after it gets cold and other food sources start running out.

Jesse isnt it mostly rye grass? Clover is good, but IMO not super attractive especially in central ohio where there is going to be AG fields all over. I suggest oats because they are easy to plant, damn near grow on the bumper of your truck, and to me seem to be more attractive than clover or rye grass.

Winter wheat, oats, and Winter rye would and clover would be a great easy mix..... IMO

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeah, it is most rye. Or at least that is what grows best in the two places I plant it. I did get great brassica growth from one plot also. Here are a few pics of plots I have put Throw & Gro on in the past. As you can see, I do a bit more than just raking the debris off, but it will give you an idea of how it looks when it grows...

Different plot the year the brassicas grow so well...

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse that looks so good, but why do all that ground work, why not just buy pure turnip seed? Probably be cheaper ya kow?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse that looks so good, but why do all that ground work, why not just buy pure turnip seed? Probably be cheaper ya kow?

Because it only takes an hour with the right tools to make those plots look like that and the growth makes it worth the effort. A batch of seed is cheap and other than the occasional $4 bag of like and $5 worth of fertilizer, I have nothing in these but time.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Because it only takes an hour with the right tools to make those plots look like that and the growth makes it worth the effort. A batch of seed is cheap and other than the occasional $4 bag of like and $5 worth of fertilizer, I have nothing in these but time.

I hear ya! Just my opinion, i guess, I would rather spend a bit more money on seed, thats going to be pure turnip, radish, etc. I never had any luck at all with rye grass seed. Deer just dont seem to nail it, but maybe like you said in late winter when foods down. I am pretty darn in love with oats tho, everyone has their own thoughts. Thanks for sharing the pics!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
See the deer are the opposite where I'm at. I have had ZERO luck getting deer to eat brassicas, rapes, turnips, beets, or radish. And I grew a bumper crop of radish last year. So I don't worry about planting it any more. I will always have something along those lines in my mixes, but it will be less than 10% of the mix. What seems to work for me is rye and oats. When deer actually tear up one of my plots, it is after gun season and in plots heavy with grasses.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse thats crazy! I am not far at all, and they tear them up. I agree 100% tho OATS are good! The deer on my place dont seem to hit clover to hard though. I planted winter wheat, and oats together deer tore that up too.

Deer are strange!