Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rack Vers Meat hunting ?

Well as I watch the deer most evenings
I am torn between rack hunting and meat hunting

As normaly I just meat hunt

Not saying Rack hunting is wrong

And if a great buck is around
Well yes I will spend some time trying to get him

But I guess I injoy eating the meat more than I do looking at a rack

As a lot of the time a large older deer , with a great rack
Isn't the best to eat , unless turned into burger

While those nice tender 2 year old bucks and doe's eat so much nicer

So what are your thoughts ?

John

Schu72

Streetsboro
That's why I buy multiple tags. I always take a doe at some point in the season and I try to hold out for a mature buck with the either sex tag.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's why I buy multiple tags. I always take a doe at some point in the season and I try to hold out for a mature buck with the either sex tag.

Same here.

My own personal preference is that I'll eat a tag if I don't get to put an arrow through a "shooter" buck. A shooter for me is something around P&Y and up. I'll watch & photograph the smaller bucks all throughout the fall.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, I have a different opinion.
People have a miss conception on older, mature deer. I can honestly say that those 4.5-5.5 year old bucks CAN be great table fare. Its all in how you take care of it, from the shot placement to hang time and processing. I recommend that any deer should hang for a week before butchering.

So to answer your question? I do shoot does as well for good table fare, but I do hold out for a mature buck each and every year. I concider myself a head hunter, more so than a meat hunter.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Up until 2012 I was a meat hunter and took the 1st mature deer that walked in front of me.
I started bowhunting in 2012 on the serious side and hunted 250 hrs.
I left 8 smaller bucks walk by me and missed one shooter buck. I took a doe for the freezer and passed on 10-12 does shots wanting to take a buck.
In 2013 it depends on the deer sightings. In past years we have way too many does running around when you can see 10-12 per day.
So I guess I became a head hunter & meat hunter.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've eatin many tasty tender backstraps and roasts from mature whitetail bucks TOO over the years bro!

It's sad I have to mentally think out how I type this stuff out so I don't give so of you guys the opening to change my wording into homosexual overtones!lmao

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
As I mature as a hunter, I will get more selective with the bucks I harvest. I am a meat hunter though.

Glad I am not the only one to look at deer for more than a rack

As tonight I am smoking 2 slabs of deer ribs

Should be ready arounf 7 PM for dinner

Hickery chips
A touch of hot pepper for some kick

John

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I find this post interesting because I feel torn. I am without a doubt a 100% bone hunter, no doubt. If youve met me in person I probably made it clear within the first few minutes of talking.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to arrow does...to put it simply its fuggin FUN! With that being said, I love to see a lot of deer, I know i know not the most QDMA minded guy, so when my neighbor killed a button buck two years ago I was actually happy he didnt kill a doe. I had not seen as many does on my farm as I would like and decided only deer taken would be a mature buck by me. So if Im a bone hunter should I have been upset with the button buck harvest? IDK, but it is a very interesting topic to me.

teej89

NE PA
I have no problem having tag soup. I meat hunt for sure but between hunting PA and OH I have enough for tags to fill the fridge. However I won't shoot a young buck, cuz I know there are bigger deer and I actually love just seeing and videoing those smaller deer. By no means do I kill huge bucks consistently but you never know when that monster will step out and I definitely wanna have a tag in the holster.

However when I take my buddy out this fall who's never hunted before EVER you are darn sure I'm gonna let him drop the hammer on whatever walks by lol

Gordo

Athens County
Best of both worlds for me.

I love my venison. It rarely ever hits the freezer.

Chasing inches of antler is my avenue to spending alot of time in the great out doors year around. If i was a straight freezer filler i wouldnt put in nearly the amount of time

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i have my days and spots that i hunt for meat, deer and the animals i hunt is all we eat we dont buy much meat at the store i always fill the freezer but im a horn hunter too. i eat whatever i end up getting a mature tough old buck or a nice tender doe.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I would have to say both, I buy 2 tags a year, one early season antler less and one either sex tag. I try to shoot a doe as early as possible in the season. Then I can hunt for a mature buck even though I have ate that tag for the last 3 years! Doesn't bother me though because for 24 dollars I got to spend an entire season doing what I enjoy!