Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Observation

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ok, was driving home from the lake the other day, and started noticing for some reason there are a lot of roofs up here seem too be staining for some reason... No tree limbs or any vegetation around them and some are in the middle of an open field.... So my question is why would roofs stain like that with nothing around them and being open too the sun/wind?? B

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah Ric, just kind of looks weird too see a bunch of stains running down the roofs.... Don't know of its because of all the rain we've been getting or because of a change over the years in material or a combo of both....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've seen quite a bit of that too. My guess is that it's something material related. Probably a component breaking down and leeching out of the shingle.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Seems like a lot of that going on, wonder if its just because of all the rain this summer? Didn't seem too stand out so much last year and it was a lot drier....

If it's what I think you are describing it's related to the quality of the shingles used and the granules are coming loose prematurely. Well, at least that's what my FIL says and he's been a roofer for over 40 years. Basically the cheap shingles like IKO are usually the culprit.

Big H

Medina
I was told that this didn't start occuring until the shingle companies started using recycled oil in the manufacturing process instead of AC 5 crude.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Here's a page that discusses all of the different reasons.
http://excellentpaintingco.tripod.com/id35.htm

Good info Mike, gave me exactly what I was looking for.... My only question would be too the manufacture or installer.... Since it looks like shit and for resale purposes would the warranty take care of the replacement of it.... As a buyer I'd be very Leary of purchasing a house with a roof in that condition....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My roof looks like shit. There are streaking stains all over it and with the steep pitch it's easily visible as you drive down my road. There's alot of stained roofs in our neighborhood. I was also told it was cheap shingles.

I'm trying to save up for a metal roof. I like the look.

MandRroofing

In the woods
Most likely the staining you are seeing is on the north sides or areas that stay shaded the longest,these areas stay wet the longest due to the suns angle and algae forms.there are solutions you can apply to remove it.shingles now are algae resistant with copper or zinc mixed with the granules. I see this on a daily bases...

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The one road that stands out the worst that I have seen the houses do all face north.... Interesting....

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Back in 06 i think it was, they re-did alot of peoples roofs, siding, etc cause of that hail damage. All those roofs are now looking stained and the siding is sun faded really bad. slot of people complaining. I dont care so much now cause my old house is a rental, but it all looks pretty bad. I imagine those roofs will all need replaced pretty soon.

I would imagine if the shingle is still keeping weather out (and during the warranty period) they will do nothing. Once it fails and a leak starts then maybe they will do something but I believe they pro-rate them too for as long as they have been on the roof vs. warranty period. Not much help so pray for a bad storm with heavy hail.

Big H

Medina
i would imagine if the shingle is still keeping weather out (and during the warranty period) they will do nothing. Once it fails and a leak starts then maybe they will do something but i believe they pro-rate them too for as long as they have been on the roof vs. Warranty period. Not much help so pray for a bad storm with heavy hail.

bingo!