Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decorative Trees

Huckleberry Finn

Mom has a birthday coming up and I've decided that I'd like to get a tree to commemorate it...something she loves and something that will last.

My parents have planted upwards of 25 trees on their one acre in the last 10 years between pines to provide wind break and neighbor cover to a few maples...

Suggestions? I don't necessarily want something too "pretty" but something unique isn't out of the question.

Thanks

Ricer2231

I love the weeping cherries we have in the front of our house and I bought one for my mom for Mother's Day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373420585.175487.jpg

And for my ex mother in law I also bought her the most fitting tree I could think of for her TOO.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373420642.797247.jpg
Honey Locust.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second the Buckeye. They are extremely slow growing which helps keep them from becoming invasive if planted close to the house. Pretty amazing what it takes to actually get a buckeye tree to germinate. They need 30days below freezing at night and above freezing during the day. Many have attempted to germinate them by putting them in the freezer at night and outside during the day. This would give you "unique".

Weeping cherries are one of my favorites along with riverbirch.

There are some pretty cool hybrids and grafted trees out there as well. Mind is about shot right now but I am thinking weeping mulberry. You might look up weeping trees in Ohio if you are thinking something along these lines.

Another one of my favorites is the redbud. Not sure why. Just like the purple blooms in the spring. They are unique.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Every Ohio yard needs a buckeye. Be sure it's a buckeye and not a horse chestnut, buckeyes have 5 leaves, HC have 7. I need to start a couple buckeyes again, we only have one now.

For ornamental the weeping cherries are really nice.

Huckleberry Finn

Went with the Japanese Maple and she loved it. Planted that and 2 spruce trees for her this afternoon, she was surprised and very pleased.

For years my dad mildly complained about me not doing a good job mowing around the trees - and now that he's back to full time mowing, I've added more obstacles for him to deal with! haha

Ricer2231

Went with the Japanese Maple and she loved it. Planted that and 2 spruce trees for her this afternoon, she was surprised and very pleased.

For years my dad mildly complained about me not doing a good job mowing around the trees - and now that he's back to full time mowing, I've added more obstacles for him to deal with! haha

Good deal buddy. I got a Japanese maple TOO. Glad to hear your mom liked it. That's all that matters.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark

:smiley_crocodile: