Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New hunting product coming soon

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This product was invented and patented by a friend. He is not a hunter and he also happens to be one of our city councilman. The product is still being revised and is not on the market yet. I've tested this and I will give my analysis below his initial contact.

!cid_B42DA72A449044678B1377E0A7BA4F71@MiloPC.jpg

I need your help testing my new patented product. It's designed for hunters to keep them warm out in the woods when you're waiting for Bambi to show up. There are a lot of other uses, but that's our first target market. What I want to do is borrow my buddy Rick Ruffner's (owner of O-Deer Diner on Louisiana) walk-in fridge and see what you guys think of the product. Assuming it goes well I might want a few other guys to come and try it too. The testing would take about an hour. We'll all go in there, get cold standing around for 10 minutes or so, then use the product and see how well it keeps us comfortable against our baseline of coldness. From personal experience, it should keep us in good shape indefinitely, so the test will be boredom limited.

This can be done any morning of the week, really. He doesn't open until 11am. I'm pretty flexible. Please let me know what might work for you guys if you're interested in helping. I'll owe you some beers for sure.

I've attached a picture of the product so you can see what you'd be testing. Basically, you put a tube down each leg and those lead to a "Y" that then goes up to another hose and mouthpiece that you breathe into. So we are using cold air coming in our nose and exhaling warmed air down into our legs. This creates both a warm barrier layer between your clothing and the outside world, but also a positive pressure system that keeps cold air from penetrating your clothing in the first place. The belt holds it in place and makes it comfortable to wear. The best part is that if you go out at dawn when it's 25F and it's 45 by 1pm, you don't have strip down. Just stop using the product. It's custom heating in the field.

The idea behind this product is to use your breathe to warm your Femoral artery and in doing so, you warm your blood and then it flows through out your body from your feet all the way to your hands
Three of us entered a walk in cooler that was right around 32 degrees. It felt colder than that due to the two fans blowing on ours heads. We got good and cold and then put the product on and put our hunting bibs and boots on. I did start to warm up remarkably after about five minutes. The only thing I didn't like was constantly breathing in through my nose. My nose froze very quickly and I had to sneak breathes through my mouth. He is fixing that issue with a check valve so you can breathe both in and out from your mouth. The apparatus is comfortable and light. It will come with a carbon filter and silica gel insert to soak up any moisture.

I'm going to test this out in the field this winter. I won't be convinced until it's tested in a real hunting situation.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm intrigued. I do see moisture and odor being the big downsides. How much silica do you need to soak up 2-3-4 hours of breaths? And how effective will the carbon be while not robbing it of heat/air flow?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Would it be any different than say wearing a face mask? Your breath goes through it as well with no filtering so too speak...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm intrigued. I do see moisture and odor being the big downsides. How much silica do you need to soak up 2-3-4 hours of breaths? And how effective will the carbon be while not robbing it of heat/air flow?

I agree with this, I think my biggest concern would be moisture. Other than that, it's an interesting concept, and a cheap alternative to heater socks or insoles.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm going to let this stir for a few days and then I'll give him all of your feedback. Thanks for posting.

Huckleberry Finn

Maybe you could modify one of these to breath your arse fumes, and attach a small combustible engine to the other end, using the exhaust off that to keep your limbs warm. Great idea Huck!

A little more complicated that just using your piss bottle as a hand warmer!

--

Jokes aside it certainly looks like an interesting product. I'd be curious how it works through a sustained cold day.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I've talked to the guy that invented this, and his mind goes a million miles a minute about this. I cant wait to try it and give honest feedback. And he wants as much criticism and ideas as possible

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Would it be any different than say wearing a face mask? Your breath goes through it as well with no filtering so too speak...

I breathe out my nose so I'm not blowing out of the second stinkiest orifice of my body! And if you are trying to stay warm, you are bound to increase the amount of air you blow out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think he needs an adapter to hook it to the Scent Smoker. It would require a bunch of wood chips and a way to hang the SS from a tree though. Lol

Would solve the stinky breath and moisture issue though.

Tiny

I simply breath into my jacket. The deer don't see the steam from my breath on really cold days and I stay very warm.
Might help with the legs but my legs never get cold.