Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A word from Hornady about Ammunition Availability

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I happen to like Hornady products and think they're first class -

Saw a link on another forum and them lifted this from Hornady's website, thought I'd share

http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

A Word on Availability

The current political climate has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products, including ours. Empty retail shelves, long backorders, and exaggerated price increases on online auction sites – all fueled by rumors and conjecture – have amplified concerns about the availability of ammunition and firearms-related items.

If the information you hear doesn’t originate from Hornady Manufacturing, don’t believe it.

Here are some of rumors we’ve heard, and questions we’ve received:

Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?
Not at all.
Did you stop selling bullets so you could only make loaded ammunition?
Absolutely not.
Since we can’t find your product you must be selling it all to the government.
Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.
Why can’t you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?
We’ve been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We’ve added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that – please take a tour of the factory. You’ll be amazed at what you see.

We are producing as much as we can; much more than last year, which was a lot more than the year before, etc. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

We appreciate everyone’s understanding and patience. We don’t know when the situation will improve, so please bear with us a little longer. And remember, when it comes to Hornady Manufacturing, if you don’t hear it from us, please don’t believe it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for sharing. I like Hornady as well. Sounds like they are being straight forward with everyone. Can't ask for more than that!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They have indeed decided to stop producing 150 (just about half of what is available) products so that they can concentrate on the most demanded items.

I use Hornady almost exclusively for rifle rounds.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a tour of the plant by a Hornady VP about 12 yrs. ago. What a operation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm still not so sure I believe it. Money makes money. If your sales have increased that much and you have excess demand. Then you have the means, funds, and demand to increase proportionally and keep up.

Us troops in Iraq shot 5.5 million rounds a month. We're no longer in Iraq. Where is that production capability now? The civilian demand is there. The government consumption has declined.

Btw. Let that sink in. DHS ordered 2 billion rounds on one order. And something like 1.5 billion last year. I think the total is up to something like 7 billion for all the orders. We fought a war with 5.5 million a month. That's enough rounds to fight the Iraq war for the next 106 years. But they claim it's just for training. Keep buying ammo boys there's a war brewing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd rather not think about a pending war or another conspiracy as I'm all out of tin foil and give-a-fuck. However, I'm not so sure I believe any corporation these days, especially one that has had government contracts.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Here's the math.

PHOENIX, AZ --(Ammoland.com)- I haven’t seen anything that suggests foul play of any kind, to me, it’s strictly supply and demand, and it shows you what panic in a market looks like.
Rationing and price spikes are the result of demand far outstripping supply.
Sure, government ammo purchases should give you pause, it’s the reason we’re all armed.
A trusted source provided this:
“Take for example .22LR ammunition. The industry as a whole (all manufacturers combined) is setup to produce 4,200,000,000 (4.2 Billions) .22 LR annually. That is running all the machines, full capacity all the time, all manufacturers together.
There is NOTHING they can do to produce more.
That corresponds to 230,137 cartridge per State per day, which is 460 bricks of 500 .22lr per day per State. That means that if less than 50 people per day in each State are buying 10 bricks of .22, it is enough to dry up the entire supply as it is being manufactured.”
News from ammo makers seems OK too, but it’s right to be wary. Trust but verify. How do you do that?
If you don’t have ammo, you’re stuck in a high market. If you’re like many Americans, you’ll comfortably ride this out until the market corrects.

About GunLaws.com:
Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Bloomfield Press, founded in 1988, is the largest publisher and distributor of gun-law books in the country. Our website, gunlaws.com, features a free national directory to gun laws and relevant contacts in all states and federally, along with our unique line of related books and DVDs. “After Your Shoot” for media review is available on request, call 800-707-4020. Our authors are available for interview, call to schedule. Call for cogent positions on gun issues, informed analysis on proposed laws, talk radio that lights up the switchboard, fact sheets and position papers. As we always say, “It doesn’t make sense to own a gun and not know the rules.” Visit: www.gunlaws.com

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/06/this-whole-ammo-shortage-thing-by-the-numbers/#ixzz2YgAt7XmV
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
DHS order is like most Govt contract orders. It is for up to that many. All the investigations into have shown that they have ordered less now at DHS than in all years prior.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
DHS order is like most Govt contract orders. It is for up to that many. All the investigations into have shown that they have ordered less now at DHS than in all years prior.

It's still an absolute ass ton of ammo that they can in no way justify to be training rounds.